08.16 Approved Minutes

 

 CITY AND COUNTY OF SAN FRANCISCO

BIODIESEL ACCESS TASK FORCE  

REGULAR MEETING

 

APPROVED MINUTES

 THURSDAY, AUGUST 16, 2007, 10:00 A.M.

 

CITY HALL, ROOM 278

ONE DR. CARLTON B. GOODLETT PLACE

SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94102 


TASK FORCE MEMBERS:  VOTING:  Eric Bowen (Chair), Adam Hagen (Vice-Chair), Melissa Hardy, Benjamin Jordan, Karri Ving. NON-VOTING: David Augustine (Treasurer/Tax Collector), Richard Berman (Port), Vandana Bali (Department of the Environment), Sarah Dennis (Planning Department), Mike Ferry (Fire Department), Tom Franza (SFPUC), Laurence Kornfield (DBI), Dina Mackin (MOCD), Marty Mellera (MTA), Virginia St. Jean (DPH).

 

Task Force Secretary:  Monica Fish

 

ORDER OF BUSINESS 


1.      Call to Order and Roll Call.  The Biodiesel Access Task Force meeting was called to order at 10:05 a.m.  Voting Present:  Chair Bowen, Members Jordan and Ving; Excused: Members Hagen and Hardy. Non-Voting Members Present:  Members Bali, Berman, Franza, Mackin (10:27 a.m.), and St. Jean; Excused:  Members Augustine and Dennis; Absent:  Members Kornfield, Ferry and Mellera.

 

2.      Approval of the July 19, 2007 Biodiesel Access Task Force Regular Meeting Draft Minutes.  Upon Motion by Member Ving and second by Chair Bowen, the July 19, 2007 Meeting Minutes were approved (AYES:  Chair Bowen, Members Jordan and Ving; Absent:  Vice-Chair Hagen and Member Hardy) (Explanatory Document:  July 19, 2007 Approved Minutes) (Discussion and Action). 

 

3.      Status Report on Recommendations to the Board of Supervisors on Incentives and Other Measures that the Task Force Should Take to Promote Biodiesel.  The Task Force will also consider developing letters to send to the Fire Department and other City agencies recommending fee waivers. (Continued discussion from the July 19, 2007 Meeting) (Informational Report and Discussion).

SPEAKER: Chair Eric Bowen

 

Chair Bowen stated that a stand-alone payroll tax exemption for stations selling biodiesel would probably not be feasible, but suggested researching other incentives such as grants.  Chair Bowen asked whether it would be better to approach the Department of the Environment or the Board of Supervisors to request grant funding.  Member Ving stated that she would be interested in researching City grants.  Member Jordan stated that being able to identify a revolving fund or annual allocation from a grant program could be beneficial for all alternative fuels as they come forward. Chair Bowen asked if the Task Force should ask the Mayor, Board of Supervisors, or other City agencies if it would be beneficial for the City of San Francisco to create a line item for grant funding to offset the capital costs of installing alternative fueling infrastructure.  Member Jordan suggested making the wording general; e.g. “grant money designed to increase access to alternative fuels” and list examples, so if there is a lack of projects for infrastructure, that same money could be used for education and advocacy. 

 

Member Franza stated that the PUC has issued grants for low-impact developments and has promoted demo projects.  Member Bali stated that the City has put in CNG fueling stations with funding from a combination of different City agencies and granting agencies such as the Air Resources Board, the Bay Area Quality Management District, and the Transportation Authority.  Member Bali stated that with biodiesel, until it is a CARB approved fuel, you cannot apply for Air District or Air Resources Board funding, but you can get EPA funding.   

 

Chair Bowen suggested researching what other cities have done with grant funding and mandates.  It was stated that Portland has a mandate that all diesel sold within their City limit would contain 5% biodiesel.  Member Bali stated that she would like San Francisco to mandate B20 with the justification being that it would reduce health impacts from particulate matter exposure. Member Jordan recommended developing this idea further and to discuss what a B20 mandate would look like for San Francisco.  Member Bali asked if Portland’s mandate contains a provision to increase the blend level over time as the manufacturers begin to warrant higher blends.

 

Public Comment:  Mr. Olof Hansen, EPA, stated that the Portland mandate contains an incremental increase by next year to B20, and there is also a requirement that the feedstock to make biodiesel needs to be local.  Within the next two years, 30% of the biodiesel feedstock needs to be from Oregonion feedstock.  Four plants plus waste grease have been identified and palm oil derived biodiesel has been excluded.  Chair Bowen asked if Mr. Hansen considers it to be a successful model that San Francisco should consider adopting.  Mr. Hansen stated that EPA is a regulatory agency and is strong with wielding mandates, but there are probably better results to voluntary partnerships.  Portland started with a voluntary program so they have fleets both private and public running from B2 to B99.  Their Water Department runs B99 in their trucks and has been doing it voluntarily. Now they have made a decision to come up with the Ordinance for all gas stations.  Member Bali asked if there was data from users with older trucks that may have concerns with the effect of biodiesel on their vehicle. Mr. Hansen stated that there would not be an issue with warranties for older trucks.

 

Member St. Jean asked if there has been legal opposition by the petroleum companies and big gas station chains.  Mr. Hansen stated that he has heard that there has not been any opposition, and these organizations were part of the process.   

 

A discussion ensued about creating letters to the Fire Department and other relevant City agencies; e.g. the Department of Building Inspection and the Planning Department on recommending fee waivers. Member Jordan stated that Member Ferry indicated that he would research the contact at the Fire Department that the letter should be addressed to.  Member Jordan also indicated that he would work on creating similar letters to other City agencies that issue fees. 

 

Member Mackin stated that there was nothing specific to report on the Clean Tech Tax Credit, but indicated that there has been more interest expressed from groups in seeing it pass. Member Mackin announced that she may be leaving her position effective mid-September and that it has not been determined who would be working on the Clean Tech Tax Credit or other functions of her position at that point. Member Jordan asked Member Mackin if she had knowledge of any grant opportunities for access; e.g. physical infrastructure on a site, gas station fees, new SPCC plans that would have to be written, the tanks themselves, new stations starting up, or diverse dispensing such as marine fueling locations, and if there were not specific infrastructure applicants, for grant funding to be allocated towards biofuels education and advocacy.  Member Jordan request information on grant funding for getting stations up and running on biodiesel in the short term and for development of emerging alternative technologies and fuels. Member Mackin stated that she has not heard of any grants whether from the government or a foundation to subsidize private property or to subsidize fees.  It was explained that normally grants are given for program administration or the actual purchasing for capital expenses on publicly-owned property or a non-profit organization. If an individual company stands to profit from the actual grant or gift, it may go against most grants that she has heard of and may not be legal. 

 

Member Ving reported that the Public Utilities Commission has given out rebates and subsidies for various programs; e.g. for dentists to capture mercury runoff by subsidizing a trap. The PUC may in the future subsidize a more advanced trap system to capture restaurant FOG that would serve a mutual interest.  Member St. Jean stated that the clarification is if it is going to turn into something that a company can make a profit on, or is this grant idea going to help with station compliance with clean and green.  Member Mackin recommended the idea of rebates and asked what agency would benefit from increasing biodiesel use. Member Jordan asked if it could fall under the Department of the Environment’s low carbon initiatives and environmental health in general.  Member St. Jean stated it could fall under the environmental justice category.

 

Member Jordan suggested that if funding were allocated, that a City department or non-profit agency could administer the program and funding.  Chair Bowen stated that Director Blumenfeld would probably be interested in being a conduit of funds to pay for the infrastructure and even offset any premiums in the price of biodiesel, but would require a funding source, as it is not in the Department’s budget.  It was stated that as a government agency, the Department could accept a variety of funding sources.  Chair Bowen recommended researching a way through city agencies or from non-city funds to funnel money to the Department specifically for these purposes.  Member St. Jean stated that there would be interest from health-based foundations that are interested in clean tech. 

 

Member Mackin suggested producers or finance companies that are financing biodiesel production as a possibility.  Member Mackin stated that she had a discussion with BP about helping to penetrate the consumer market and their director expressed skepticism in expanding the consumer market because he felt that there was not enough land for the production of biodiesel.  BP saw biodiesel as a small market.  Member Jordan discussed the need to generate customers in San Francisco by providing educational opportunities.  Chair Bowen stated that next steps would be to follow up with Director Blumenfeld to see if he would be willing to be a conduit.  It was stated that a likely source of funding would be regular funders of health-based projects in San Francisco. Chair Bowen announced that Director Blumenfeld is considering creating a San Francisco based carbon market. Member St. Jean stated that there are classes available on how to find the right granters for specific projects and would report back with additional information.  

 

Public Comment

 

Mr. Jamie Belliveau, SF Biofuels Coop stated that a large company such as BP would want to make an effort to understand why they should participate in the biodiesel market and asked Member Mackin if in her meeting with BP, whether they presented any material on their research. Member Mackin stated that BP is doing an incredible amount of research on the biofuel industry, and part of their research has been looking at the overall planet’s biological capacity for fuel production.  The other point made that in the fuel market, 90-95% of biodiesel use is by fleet vehicles, not by passenger vehicles, so their thinking is that it is not worth the energy and time to penetrate the standard market where many gas stations do not have diesel pumps, let alone biodiesel pumps, because there are so few diesel passenger cars.    

 

Mr. Olof Hansen stated that the Task Force might want to research the California Energy Commission/California Air Resources Board incentive grant program that was announced the beginning of this year and closed in June.  It was stated that there may have been groups close to San Francisco or within the City boundaries receiving grant funding.  The grants were geared towards providing incentives/cost compensation for startups on infrastructure for biofuels.   Member Bali explained that was the AB 1811 funding and was mostly for ethanol.  Mr. Hansen stated there was funding set aside for biodiesel for the whole state and does not know if some of the money ended up in the Bay Area.  Mr. Hansen reported that the Clean Cities Coalition Program also has grants, and there is a coalition in San Francisco providing subsidies.  Member Bali and Chair Bowen reported that the Coalition has not met and is now dormant.

 

Ms. Lindsay Hassett, Marketing Director for Blue Sky Bio-fuels, stated that they just finalized permits in Oakland and will be doing grease collection service picking up waste oil from restaurants.  Ms. Hassett stated that much like BP recognizes, the larger fleets do consume most of the biodiesel and the amount of waste oil that they can conceivably get to by the end of the year is miniscule in comparison to distributors such as Peoples Fuel, LC Biofuels, and Berkeley Biofuels Oasis who are consuming or just selling. A discussion was held on a meeting that was held in Davis with a group of farmers and biodiesel producers.  Ms. Hassett asked if the Task Force would get involved in new sources of oil where creative methods working with farmers, different kinds of plants, winter croptations, different kinds of planting cycles is needed.  Chair Bowen explained that the Task Force has been focused in San Francisco.  Member St. Jean asked if there is a potential in the agricultural area or if there is an entity that could help the farmers and be their distribution source.  Chair Bowen stated that agricultural money usually does not get spent in cities. Member Ving stated that this issue is beyond the scope of the Task Force

 

4.      Status Report on Discussions with Gas Stations on the Prospect of Selling Biodiesel to Individual Consumers (Continued discussion from the July 19, 2007 Meeting) (Informational Report and Discussion). 

SPEAKERS:  Vice-Chair Adam Hagen and Chair Eric Bowen

 

Items 4 and 12 were heard together.

 

Chair Bowen stated that there have been four or five responses from the letter that was sent out to gas stations on the prospect of selling biodiesel to individual consumers.  From that group, discussions have been held with two that are very motivated. There have been messages left for the other three.

 

Chair Bowen introduced Mr. Eric Smith who has been selected as the candidate for the Green Depot Environmental Justice position to promote and facilitate biodiesel adoption in the southeast section of San Francisco.  The objective is to reduce the environmental impact of diesel exhaust in that neighborhood.  Chair Bowen asked that the Task Force work with Mr. Smith and asked that he follow up with the gas station respondents to the letter.  Mr. Smith stated that he is excited to be working on this effort and has been part of the Biodiesel Coop, a user, and had lived in Bayview Hunters Point briefly before moving to the Western Addition. Mr. Smith discussed the important focus on air quality and reducing air emissions in Bayview Hunters Point. It was explained that the Bayview Hunters Point neighborhood will have 20 years of construction projects scheduled, and the community is concerned with the air quality that may result. Member Bali stated that there would be a focus on transitioning large fleets to B20 in Bayview Hunters Point given the location of the Olympian Gas Station in the neighborhood.  Member Bali stated that she will be working with the wholesale produce market and Olympian to do an outreach event on biodiesel to produce market fleets.  Mr. Smith stated that he has been engaged in discussions with the Food Bank, fleet operators, and others and everybody has different issues; e.g. availability, their warranty.  Member Bali stated that she would be talking about all of these issues at the community outreach event.    

 

5.      Update on Permitting Regulations for Biodiesel (Continued Discussion from the July 19, 2007 Meeting) (Informational Report and Discussion). 

SPEAKER:  Member Benjamin Jordan

 

Member Jordan stated that there has not been any movement on the permitting regulations for the stationary locations.  It was reported that details are being worked on for the 38 Otis Street location, where an effort is being made to install a small plastic tank for fueling members. Fire codes are being reviewed.  The other site is the Rainbow Grocery at 1745 Folsom Street.  A mobile fueling permit was received this last week from the Fire Department for dispensing biodiesel off a fueling truck at the loading dock of Rainbow Grocery.  Details of the program are being worked on and hopefully by the next meeting biodiesel B99 will be offered in a limited capacity.

 

Member Jordan reported that they are still working on codifying all of this information together as it is voluminous and will take time.  Member St. Jean asked for additional information on mobile fueling permits.  Member Jordan explained that mobile fueling permits are issued by the Fire Department at the Second Street Office.  This permit will be valid for one year for a standard petroleum fueling truck that will contain only pure biodiesel and will dispense the fuel directly into vehicles. It is a fleet pump, not a public pump.  Member Jordan stated that there would be future discussions with the Weights and Measures staff on this topic.

 

6.      Citywide Fleet Biodiesel Implementation Update (Continued Discussion from the July 19, 2007 Meeting) (Informational Report and Discussion). 

SPEAKER: Member Vandana Bali

 

Member Bali stated that City fleets are up to 52% biodiesel use at this time.  The biggest new user is MUNI, who has used 38,000 gallons of B20 in their first month and has not had any issues.  It was explained that all of the other issues that have been raised previously; e.g., fuel quality, the master fuel contract, and the secondary vendor, are being worked on by the appropriate departments. Things are moving forward and there are no red flags.  Chair Bowen asked if the City is looking to re-bid the backup fuel contract.  Member Bali stated not at this time.  Member Ving asked if there has been any supply issues in the last month.  Member Bali stated that there have not been supply issues that she is aware of.  MTA has been getting their fuel and if they haven’t been getting their fuel, they go to their backup vendor, Western.  Member Bali stated that Member Mellera had reported that test results showed that the quality of the biodiesel from San Francisco Petroleum to be excellent.  Member Bali reported that Golden Gate would be the backup vendor for the entire City.  The status is that OCA and the departments are trying to work out when the backup vendor will take effect and are looking to MTA and PUC for input and so far MTA has provided input. In the interim, Western has been MUNI’s backup vendor.

 

Public Comment

 

Mr. Olof Hansen asked if MUNI is using B20 in their new hybrids.  Member Bali stated that all of MUNI’s diesel hybrids are running B20 and there are no problems with the technology.

 

Mr. Jamie Belliveau asked who the primary biodiesel provider is. Member Bali explained that San Francisco Petroleum has been assigned the master fuel contract for all fuel other than CNG.

 

Ms. Lindsay Hassett asked if the fuel is coming from out of state.  Member Bali reported that the fuel is coming from Texas.

 

7.      Federal Environmental Protection Agency Round Table Discussion on Developing Biodiesel Regulations (Informational Report and Discussion).

SPEAKER:  Member Virginia St. Jean

 

Member St. Jean reported that the roundtable will be run by EFC9, Environmental Financing of Region 9, and is an EPA project.  The goal would be to define biodiesel at a state level consistently from agency to agency, from regulatory body to regulatory body, as there are varying definitions at this time.  The goals would be to identify and address obstacles to California communities producing and using waste cooking grease derived from biodiesel and fleets. Obstacles include environmental, regulatory, technological difficulties, and logistics and operations. The roundtable discussion will be held at Dominican University in San Rafael the week of January 22nd. 

 

Public Comment: Ms. Lisa McClain-Vanderpool, EPA Region 9, stated that the roundtable discussion would be small and by invitation only.  The aim is to invite people who can resolve obstacles and to include a variety of agencies that are involved in these issues; e.g., CARB, CEC, and City representatives.  There will be seating for the public.

 

 

 

8.      Informational Report to the Board of Supervisors Update (Continued Discussion from the July 19, 2007 Meeting) (Informational Report and Discussion). 

SPEAKER: Member Benjamin Jordan

 

Member Jordan reported that an outline and assignments for topics has been created. Chair Bowen stated that the completed outline would be discussed at the September meeting. Discussion of initial drafts will start in October and continue monthly until the end of the year.  Member Ving reported that the Marine Committee would submit their outline by the next meeting.  

 

9.      Status Update on Building a Biodiesel Manufacturing Facility in San Francisco (Continued from the July 19, 2007 Meeting) (Informational Report and Discussion). 

SPEAKER: Member Dina Mackin

 

Member Mackin reported that building a biodiesel manufacturing facility would be tabled until the fall, as it has to move along with the Port’s backlands planning process, and there have been other issues that are going on with the planning of the backlands. Member Mackin stated that building a community coalition of support is most important in making this happen, which became clear at the end of the first workshop.  Member Mackin indicated that since she would be leaving the position, she would not be involved in facilitating this project.  Member Bali reported that she would be working on this effort in the future and would be attending a tour of the Gonzales facility this week.

 

10.  Biodiesel Access Task Force Sunset Date.  The Task Force will discuss the Biodiesel Access Task Force sunset date of December 31, 2007 and consider alternatives discussed at the July 19, 2007 meeting (Continued from the July 19, 2007 Meeting) (Discussion). 

SPEAKER: Chair Eric Bowen

 

Chair Bowen stated that this item would be discussed more thoroughly at the September meeting after discussion of the Informational Report Outline.  The Task Force will consider what additional work or function it may play if it were to be extended, for how long, and what its goals would be. The work of the Task Force could also be folded into a broader Clean Fuels Task Force.  Chair Bowen stated that given the progress that has been made and can be made over the next couple of years, some sort of forum to continue to play the coordinating and information clearinghouse function would be important. 

 

Public Comment: Mr. Eric Smith asked what the consensus was from the last meeting about continuing the Task Force.  Chair Bowen stated that the consensus was that the Task Force should continue in some sort of capacity for at least a year if not longer and meeting frequency may be reduced, either meeting quarterly or every other month. Consensus was not reached on whether the scope would be broadened.  It was stated that while there has been discussion about facilitating other clean tech fuels, there has not been activity around that right now that the Task Force would facilitate, and the Task Force is not a front line crew--it helps people that are on the front line.  At a minimum, if a decision had to be made today, the answer would be to go back to the Board of Supervisors, ask for an extension of one or two years, meeting on a monthly or every other month schedule to continue to support the work of the Green Depot program, gas station implementation, and fleet work that Member Bali is working on. 

 

Member St. Jean asked when the Task Force would have to go back to the Board of Supervisors with a definition for the next body.  Chair Bowen stated that a recommendation should be made to the Board of Supervisors in October.  Member Ving stated that the outline would be useful in making this decision, and Member Bali stated that working through the next steps (Agenda Item 11) would also be useful.  Member Jordan stated that working through the permitting, putting together a list of regulations that people would need to comply with, clarifying what agency controls what and for what cost, would extend past the sunset date. The Task Force will also consider whether to request that the existing seated members retain their seat or to request a reappointment process.  Chair Bowen stated that for continuity, the seated members make the most sense, and would check the legality of the process with the Deputy City Attorney. 

 

11.     Next Steps for Biodiesel in San Francisco.  The Task Force will discuss recommendations for how biodiesel and alternative fuels can be integrated into the City in the future (Discussion).

SPEAKER:  Member Benjamin Jordan

 

Member Jordan stated that the Task Force had previously discussed (1) creating a manual of regulations, which is a guide to biodiesel and how to safely use and handle it, permit it and regulate it; (2) how to increase the blend percentage on the Mayor’s mandate. It was stated that there is language in the mandate for increasing the blend, and effort should be made to track it. Member Bali suggested phasing in higher blends when the manufacturers warrant a blend higher than B20.  Member Jordan stated that a lot of OEM’s are not even warranting B20.  Member Bali stated that since Cummins started to warrant B20, the others started to also. Member Bali explained that it is still a slow process getting to B20. 

 

Chair Bowen stated that a minor expanded scope of this Task Force would be to be more focused on City implementation.  It was explained that the Task Force’s original purview was on public access due to a political decision at the time that probably would not exist anymore.  If the Task Force is renewed, then to start considering where within the City fleet to start B99 demos in the same way that the Port and Water Department has. Projects could be implemented on out of warranty vehicles, on projects where the fleet manager is not worried about the warranty issue, and on volunteer opportunities for departments that are interested in implementing B99.

 

Member Ving suggested providing guidance on sustainability and recommendations on how municipalities like Portland could implement a very large biodiesel program and still be sustainable.  Member Jordan advised that that language exists in the Master Fuel Contract, but may get lost if there is no steady oversight. It was explained that the City is able to direct the vendor to go to local feedstock, but it’s always been when it’s available.  Member Jordan suggested next steps to include how to track local production, availability, quality, and how to direct contractors and maintain oversight.  It was stated that the Master Fuel Contract does not have enough information about sustainability written into it. 

 

Chair Bowen asked that these suggestions be folded into the outline as recommendations for the next steps section of the Master Report. Member Jordan stated that section would include information on additional permitting and regulations, higher blend projects, Executive Order oversight, and a broader definition of sustainability and local production requirements to include in the Master Fuel Contract.  In addition, the next steps would include alternative fuels and how it relates to biodiesel.  It was stated that MUNI has alternative fuel mandates and requested information on how they comply with mandates, if there is overlap for the rest of the City fleet and the fueling public. 

 

Public Comment

 

Ms. Lisa McClain-Vanderpool asked if the Task Force had met Ms. Heidi Quanta, the new Executive Director of the Sustainable Biodiesel Alliance that is working on a national effort to develop biodiesel standards and best practices. It was explained that there are several subcommittees that are developing. 

 

Mr. Olof Hansen stated that the Alliance is launching their national program through Hard Rock Café who will be announcing that all their grease will go into biodiesel production on September 9th on Times Square in New York City.  Mr. Hansen suggested that next steps should be to look at the Portland’s biodiesel sustainability criteria list. It was explained that points are received for the miles between the production and the consumption and if it’s lower, your points go up.  For business points, they look at minority owned, women owned, and financial stability.  The criteria is implemented through agencies such as the Department of Public Works, the bus system, the transit system, where they select vendors with the highest scores.  Member Bali stated that the City looks at that type of criteria in the Request for Proposal (RFP) process.

 

 

 

 

12.     Update on the Green Depot Environmental Justice Program (Informational Report and Discussion).

SPEAKER: Chair Eric Bowen

 

This item was heard with Item 4.

 

13.     Update on the Biofuel Recycling Waste Cooking Oil Program (Informational Report and Discussion).

SPEAKER: Member Benjamin Jordan

 

Member Jordan presented an update on the program and stated that existing barriers in the rendering industry is being reviewed currently. The program is a private market model so there is a lot of illegal disposal of the grease in both the sanitary sewer and the solid waste systems.  The Department of the Environment is motivated through their solid waste reduction grants to help get the oil out of the solid waste stream, and the PUC, who is developing and owning the program, is actively moving forward in creating the lipid recovery system for San Francisco.  Member Jordan reported that the PUC is focused on providing a commercial transfer station that is being built at the southeast water pollution control plant near the old Dreyer building.  It is a facility that will accept vegetable oil coming in from commercial restaurants that the City will pick up from.  The City will offer free collection to remove any disincentives.  It was explained that the residential program is underway to have about a dozen drop off locations for residents to bring in their material, and residents will be provided with cans.

 

Member Jordan stated that the City has been awarded a grant program from the California Energy Commission (CEC) to do a pilot plant for feedstock generation from brown grease, which will be located at the Oceanside Treatment Plant.  It was explained that brown grease could either be made into a feedstock for biodiesel or added directly into anaerobic digesters for methane production.  The straight vegetable oil is going to be used as biodiesel feedstock for local manufacturing plants.  The City PUC is already collecting this material (PUC has collected over 800 gallons) and it has been sold to Blue Sky Biodiesel and made into biodiesel.  We have yet to purchase that back through the Master Fuel Contract, but it is under way.  The PUC has created a Biofuel Coordinator position to assist in their efforts, which is Member Karri Ving.  Member Jordan reported that there is a large social marketing campaign effort that will be unleashed on the City in October at the latest.

 

Member Ving stated that the PUC would be requesting that restaurants use pure vegetable oil versus oil containing partially hydrogenated oils.  A flyer will be provided to restaurant owners and managers to explain why and provide a cost comparison.  Member St. Jean asked about butter and other things used in the cooking process.  Member Ving stated that currently, they are working on just the fryer grease and other material will be worked on in the future. Member Jordan stated that restaurants are being influenced to have interceptors, grease traps, and there will be training to educate them on how to handle and segregate the different types of material. The benefits are to move San Francisco into a trans fat free location and to work on composting and waste diversion.

 

Public Comment

 

Ms. Lindsay Hassett stated that the 800 gallons that will be picked up would be dedicated to school bus districts.

 

Mr. Olof Hansen stated that part of the roundtable discussion in January would probably have a big component on the interest of nuclear owned treatment works that deals with grease causing them a lot of problems. During the roundtable there will be a lot of solutions presented. 

 

14.     New Business/Future Agenda Items (Information and Discussion).  There was no new business discussed at this time.

 

15.     Public Comments:  Members of the public may address the Task Force on matters that are within the Task Force’s jurisdiction and are not on today’s agenda.  There was no public comment at this time.

 

 

16.     Adjournment.  The Biodiesel Access Task Force adjourned at 11:45 a.m.

 

The next meeting of the Biodiesel Access Task Force will be held on Thursday, September 20, 2007 at 10:00 a.m.

 

Respectfully submitted by,

 

Monica Fish, Task Force Secretary

 

Approved: September 20, 2007

 

** Copies of explanatory documents are available at (1) the Task Force office, 11 Grove Street, San Francisco, California between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., (2) upon request to the Task Force Secretary, at telephone number 415-355-3709 or via e-mail at Monica.Fish@sfgov.org, or (3) on the meeting website as attachments to the agendas or meeting minutes.   

 

ĉ
Unknown user,
Jun 10, 2010, 1:47 PM
ĉ
Unknown user,
Jun 10, 2010, 1:47 PM
Comments