CITY AND COUNTY OF SAN FRANCISCO
BIODIESEL ACCESS TASK FORCE
BIOFUELS PERMIT WORKING GROUP
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 5, 2010, 9:00 A.M.
CITY HALL, ROOM 278, ONE DR. CARLTON B. GOODLETT PLACE
SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94102
WORK GROUP MEMBERS: Ben Jordan (Chair), Ilana Gauss, Department of Public Health (DPH), John Curd, San Francisco Fire Department (SFFD), Shannon Devine, Dan Sider, San Francisco Planning Department; Virginia St. Jean, Department of Public Health (DPH)
ORDER OF BUSINESS
1. Call to Order and Roll Call. The Biofuels Permit Working Group convened at 9:00 a.m. Present: Chair Jordan, Members Devine, Gauss, Sider and St. Jean. Absent: Member Curd. Ms. Dana Pong was present for this meeting.
2. Introduction. (Discussion) Working Group members reviewed the general meeting purpose to provide a clear regulatory road map for biodiesel access in San Francisco.
3. Approval of the Biofuels Permit Working Group April 6, 2010 Draft Minutes. (Explanatory Document: April 6, 2010 Draft Minutes) (Discussion and Action). Upon Motion by Chair Jordan, second by Member St. Jean, the April 6, 2010 Meeting Minutes were approved without objection.
4. Scope of Work Group. (Discussion). The Work Group held discussions on (1) the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Guidance Document for the Underground Storage Tank Program, (2) the Marine Fueling Facilities Code of Practices and Best Management Practices, (3) Clean and Green Award Program (Department of Public Health Toxics Reduction Program); (4) needing a list of B100 compatible fueling and vehicle components; (5) Multi-Agency Compliance Assistance and Best Management Practices; and (6) working in conjunction with the CalEPA Guidance Document.
5. Review and Discussion of Permitting Scenarios. (Discussion). Work Group Members discussed adding the two production levels to permitting scenarios numbered 7 and 8, one for small-scale demonstration or non-commercial uses and the other for larger-scale commercial production programs.
6. Review of Planning Department Responses to Biodiesel Access Fueling Scenarios. (Explanatory Document: Planning Department Response to Scenarios and Biodiesel Task Force Scenarios V3) (Discussion). The Planning Department may need to include two more scenarios for small and large-scale production. A review is required to ensure that the discussions are centered on uses and not environmental and other structural issues.
7. Discuss Department of Public Health and San Francisco Fire Department Responses to Biodiesel Access Fueling Scenarios. (Explanatory Document: Department of Public Health and San Francisco Fire Department Responses to Scenarios) (Discussion). Part of the information has been incorporated into the Department of Public Health memo and more will be forthcoming including additional San Francisco Fire Department permitting items.
8. Next Steps. (Discussion) Next steps include adding the two scenarios, reviewing each of the department’s work and offer comments, and draft the permit introduction and outline of permit summary.
9. Public Comments. Members of the public may address the Working Group on items that are within the Working Group’s jurisdiction and are not on today’s agenda. There was no public comment at this time.
10. Adjournment. The Biofuels Permit Working Group adjourned at 10:00 a.m.
The next meeting of the Biofuels Permit Working Group is scheduled for Tuesday, December 7, 2010 at 9:00 a.m. in City Hall, Room 278, City Hall.
Respectfully submitted by,
Monica Fish, Task Force Secretary
**Copies of explanatory documents are available at (1) the Biodiesel Access Task Force Office, 11 Grove Street, San Francisco, California between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., (2) upon request to the Task Force Secretary, at telephone number 415-355-3709 or via e-mail at [email protected], or (3) on the website with each agenda or meeting minutes at https://sites.google.com/a/sfenvironment.org/commission/biodiesel-access-task-force/biofuels-permit-working-group.
*Approved: December 7, 2010