CITY AND COUNTY OF SAN FRANCISCO
COMMISSION ON THE ENVIRONMENT
SPECIAL MEETING APPROVED MINUTES
COMMITTEE MEMBERS: Acting Director David Assmann, Commissioners Matt Tuchow and Johanna Wald
ORDER OF BUSINESS
1. Call to Order and Roll Call. The Director Search Committee meeting convened at 4:50 p.m. Present: Acting Director Assmann, Commissioners Tuchow and Wald (5:20). Commission Secretary Monica Fish was in attendance.
2. Approval of Draft Minutes from the Wednesday, December 23, 2009 Department Director Search Committee Meeting. (Discussion and Action)
Upon Motion by Commissioner Tuchow and second by Acting Director Assmann, the December 23, 2009 Meeting Minutes were approved as written without objection. There was no public present at this time. (AYES: Acting Director Assmann and Commissioner Tuchow; Absent: Commissioner Wald) (Explanatory Document: December 23, 2009 Approved Minutes.)
3. Public Comments: Members of the public may address the Committee on matters that are within the Committee’s jurisdiction and are not on today’s agenda. There was no public present at this time.
4. CLOSED SESSION – REVIEW OF DEPARTMENT DIRECTOR JOB APPLICATIONS and possible recommendation of candidates to the Commission on the Environment (Discussion and Possible Action).
a. Public comment on all matters pertaining to the closed session.
There was no public present at the time public comment was announced. At the time of closed session, the Committee reverted back to public comment upon request of Dr. Nancy Cross.
Dr. Cross reported that she was not able to receive sufficient information on the job application process or about today’s meeting. She requested that the job announcement be re-announced and include a competitive written competency examination so that the most qualified would apply. She had also discussed her extensive experience as a Civil Service Examiner in Santa Clara County as well as her possible interest in the position. Commissioner Tuchow explained that the position had closed as of February 5th. The Committee reverted back to closed session.
b. Vote on whether to hold closed session to review Department Director job applications. (Cal. Govt. Code § 54957; SF Admin. Code § 67.10(b).) [ACTION]
Upon Motion by Commissioner Tuchow and second by Acting Director Assmann, without objection, the Committee voted to hold closed session (AYES: Acting Director Assmann and Commissioner Tuchow; Absent: Commissioner Wald).
c. Possible closed session to review Department Director job applications and possibly recommend candidates to the full Commission. (Cal. Govt. Code § 54957; SF Admin. Code § 67.10(b).) [DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION]
Closed session convened at 4:55 p.m. to review Department Director job applications. The Committee reverted back to public comment on all matters pertaining to the closed session upon request of a member of the public, Dr. Nancy Cross. After public comment was heard, the Committee reverted back to closed session to review job applications. This agenda item was continued for further review at future Committee meetings as scheduled in Agenda Item 5.
d. Reconvene in open session:
1. Possible report on action taken in closed session and the vote thereon. (Cal. Govt. Code § 54957.1(a); SF Admin. Code § 67.12(b).)
2. Vote to elect whether to disclose any or all discussions held in closed session. (Cal. Govt. Code § 54957.1(a); SF Admin. Code § 67.12(b).) [ACTION]
Commissioner Tuchow announced that the Committee had begun the process of reviewing applications and would schedule a number of follow-up meetings to continue their review. Upon Motion by Commissioner Tuchow and second by Commissioner Wald without objection, the Committee voted not to disclose any or all discussions held in closed session. (AYES: Acting Director Assmann, Commissioners Tuchow and Wald)
Public Comment: Mr. David Pilpel asked for a disclosure on the number of applications received and the number the Committee narrowed it down to so the public could have an understanding where the Committee is in the process. Commissioner Tuchow reported that he would seek legal counsel on the legality of disclosing the number of applicants.
5. Develop Department Director Search Committee Schedule of Meetings. (Discussion and Possible Action)
The Committee discussed the 15-day meeting notice requirement as a basis for selection of meeting dates. Tentative meeting dates selected were March 3, 5, 11, 15, 17, 18, and 19 from 7:30 a.m. – 8:30 a.m. Legal counsel would be sought to determine whether a notice of meeting would be required to hold interviews. The Committee also discussed potential interview locations in order to preserve candidate confidentiality.
Public Comment: Mr. Pilpel (1) reported that job interviews would have to be noticed; (2) suggested that in order to preserve confidentiality, that the open session could be held in one location and then moved for the interview portion to a different location within the same building; (3) reported that a 15-day notice stating that the meetings would be scheduled would satisfy the noticing requirement, but that an agenda would only be required 72 hours before the meeting; and (4) stated that the Committee could hold a recessed meeting within five days of the original noticed meeting without the requirement to post another 15-day notice.
6. New Business/Future Agenda Items. (Discussion) There was no new business or future agenda items discussed at this time.
7. Public Comments: Members of the public may address the Committee on matters that are within the Committee’s jurisdiction and are not on today’s agenda. There was no public comment at this time.
8. Adjournment. The Director Search Committee meeting adjourned at 6:58 p.m.
Monica Fish, Commission Secretary
TEL: (415) 355-3709; FAX: (415) 554-6393
** Copies of explanatory documents are available at (1) the Commission’s office, 11 Grove Street, San Francisco, California between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., (2) on the Director Search Committee website https://sites.google.com/a/sfenvironment.org/commission/director-search-committee with each set of minutes by meeting date, (3) upon request to the Commission Secretary, at telephone number 415-355-3709 or via e-mail at [email protected].
Approved: March 3, 2010