CITY AND COUNTY OF SAN FRANCISCO
COMMISSION ON THE ENVIRONMENT
SPECIAL MEETING DRAFT MINUTES
COMMITTEE MEMBERS: Acting Director David Assmann, Commissioners Matt Tuchow and Johanna Wald
ORDER OF BUSINESS
1. Call to Order and Roll Call. The Director Search Committee meeting convened at 7:35 a.m. Present: Acting Director Assmann, Commissioners Tuchow and Wald. Commission Secretary Monica Fish was in attendance.
2. Approval of Draft Minutes from the prior Department Director Search Committee Meeting. (Discussion and Action) Upon Motion by Commissioner Wald and second by Commissioner Tuchow, the March 11, 2010 Draft Meeting Minutes were approved without objection (AYES: Acting Director Assmann, Commissioners Wald and Tuchow).
3. Public Comments: Members of the public may address the Committee on matters that are within the Committee’s jurisdiction and are not on today’s agenda. There was no public present at this time.
4. CLOSED SESSION – REVIEW OF DEPARTMENT DIRECTOR JOB APPLICATIONS and/or CONDUCT INTERVIEWS. Committee members may vote to make recommendations of candidates to the Commission on the Environment. (Discussion and Possible Action).
a. Public comment on all matters pertaining to the closed session. There was no public present at this time.
b. Vote on whether to hold closed session to review Department Director job applications and/or conduct interviews. (Cal. Govt. Code § 54957; SF Admin. Code § 67.10(b).) [ACTION] Commissioner Wald motioned, second by Commissioner Tuchow to hold closed session (AYES: Commissioners Wald and Tuchow, Acting Director Assmann). Open Session recessed at 7:37 a.m. to go into closed session.
c. Possible closed session to review Department Director job-applications and/or conduct interviews. The Committee may vote to recommend candidates to the full Commission. (Cal. Govt. Code § 54957; SF Admin. Code § 67.10(b).) [DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION] Closed session convened at 7:45 a.m. No action was taken.
d. Reconvene in open session: Open Session reconvened at 8:50 a.m.
1. Possible report on action taken in closed session and the vote thereon. (Cal. Govt. Code § 54957.1(a); SF Admin. Code § 67.12(b).) No action was taken.
2. Vote to elect whether to disclose any or all discussions held in closed session. (Cal. Govt. Code § 54957.1(a); SF Admin. Code § 67.12(b).) [ACTION] Commissioner Wald motioned, second by Acting Director Assmann, not to disclose discussions held in closed session (AYES: Commissioners Wald and Acting Director Assmann; Absent: Commissioner Tuchow)
3. Public comment on all matters pertaining to the closed session. There was no public present at this time.
5. Develop Department Director Search Committee Schedule of Additional Meetings. (Discussion and Possible Action) Acting Director Assmann and Commissioner Wald discussed recessing this meeting to a future date or March 25 and 26. Ms. Fish reported that she would consult with legal counsel on the process for recessing meetings in order to continue this meeting to complete unfinished business and would confirm Commissioner’s availability for a March 30 meeting. Commissioner Wald requested that all evening meetings be cancelled and that applicants are advised that appointments are tentative and would be confirmed approximately three days in advance. Commissioner Tuchow joined the meeting at this time.
6. New Business/Future Agenda Items. (Discussion) Ms. Fish consulted with Committee Members on whether to change the agenda language to state conduct job interviews only instead of adding language to review job applications. Commissioner Tuchow suggested not restricting the agenda language because it may be necessary to review job applications at future meetings.
7. Public Comments: Members of the public may address the Committee on matters that are within the Committee’s jurisdiction and are not on today’s agenda. There was no public present at this time.
8. Adjournment. The Director Search Committee meeting recessed at 8:53 a.m.
Respectfully submitted by,
Monica Fish, Commission Secretary
TEL: (415) 355-3709; FAX: (415) 554-6393
** Copies of explanatory documents are available at (1) the Commission’s office, 11 Grove Street, San Francisco, California between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., (2) on the Director Search Committee website https://sites.google.com/a/sfenvironment.org/commission/director-search-committee with each set of minutes by meeting date, (3) upon request to the Commission Secretary, at telephone number 415-355-3709 or via e-mail at [email protected].
Approved: March 30, 2010