CITY AND COUNTY OF SAN FRANCISCO
COMMISSION ON THE ENVIRONMENT
*NOTICE OF RESCHEDULED LOCATION MEETING AND AGENDA
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 27, 2011, 5:00 P.M.
CITY HALL, ROOM 263
SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94102
*The Tuesday, September 27, 2011Commission on the Environment meeting has been moved from Room 416, City Hall to Room 263, City Hall.
COMMISSION MEMBERS: Commissioners Matt Tuchow (President), Ruth Gravanis (Vice-President), Angelo King, Alan Mok, Rahul Prakash, Heather Stephenson, Johanna Wald
ORDER OF BUSINESS
Public comment will be taken before the Commission takes action on any item.
1. Call to Order and Roll Call.
2. Approval of Minutes of the July 26, 2011Commission on the Environment Meeting. (Explanatory Document: July 26, 2011Draft Minutes) (Discussion and Action)
3. Public Comments: Members of the public may address the Commission on matters that are within the Commission’s jurisdiction and are not on today’s agenda.
4. Approval of Draft Resolution File No. 2011-04-COE commending Mark Westlund for his service to the Department and Commission on the Environment. (Explanatory Document: Draft Resolution File No. 2011-04-COE) Presenter: Commission President Matt Tuchow (Discussion and Action)
5. 34th America's Cup - Presentation and Discussion of AC34 Draft Sustainability Plan. Sponsor: Melanie Nutter, Director; Speaker: Neill Duffy, Director of Partnership Sales, Sustainability and Responsibility, America's Cup Event Authority (Explanatory Documents: America’s Cup 34 Draft Sustainability Plan and Link to Plan
http://www.americascup.com/Documents/AC34%20Draft%20Sustainability%20Plan_19%20Sept%202011.pdf, Public Comment) (Informational Presentation and Discussion) (45 minutes)
6. Introduction of a Draft Resolution that would adopt as Commission policy an acknowledgement of the importance of protecting, restoring and enhancing San Francisco’s biodiversity and would encourage development staff to seek funding for biodiversity staffing and programs. Sponsor: Commissioner Ruth Gravanis; Speakers: Commissioner Gravanis and David Assmann, Deputy Director (Explanatory Document: Draft Resolution Language and Background and Public Comment) (Presentation Time: 10 minutes) (Informational Presentation and Discussion)
7. Operations Committee Report. (Information and Discussion)
Chair’s Report: Review of the agenda for the October 19, 2011 meeting to be held at the Department of the Environment Eco Center, 11 Grove Street.
8. Policy Committee Report. (Information and Discussion)
Chairs Report: Highlights of the August 8, 2011 meeting and review of the agenda for the October 24, 2011 meeting to be held at City Hall, Room 421.
9. Commission Secretary’s Report. (Explanatory Document: Commission Secretary’s Report) (Information and Discussion)
Monica Fish, Commission Secretary
· Communications and Correspondence
· Update on Pending City Legislation
10. Director’s Report. Updates on Department of the Environment administrative and programmatic operations relating to Budget Planning, Strategic Planning, Clean Air/Transportation, Climate, Energy, Public Outreach and Education, Environmental Justice, Green Building, Zero Waste, Toxics Reduction, and Urban Forestry. (Explanatory Document: Director’s Report) (Information and Discussion)
11. Announcements. (Information and Discussion)
12. President’s Announcements. (Information and Discussion)
13. New Business/Future Agenda Items. (Information, Discussion and Possible Action)
14. Public Comments: Members of the public may address the Commission on matters that are within the Commission’s jurisdiction and are not on today’s agenda.
Monica Fish, Commission Secretary; TEL: (415) 355-3709; FAX: (415) 554-6393
The next meeting of the Commission on the Environment is scheduled for Tuesday, November 22, 2011, 5:00 p.m. at City Hall, Room 416.
** Copies of explanatory documents are available at (1) the Commission’s office, 11 Grove Street, San Francisco, California between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., (2) on the Commission’s website https://sites.google.com/a/sfenvironment.org/commission/environment-commission;(3) upon request to the Commission Secretary, at telephone number 415-355-3709, or via e-mail at [email protected] within three business days of a meeting. If any materials related to an item on this agenda have been distributed to the Commission after distribution of the agenda packet, those materials are available for public inspection at the Department of the Environment, 11 Grove Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 during normal office hours or will be made available on the Commission’s website https://sites.google.com/a/sfenvironment.org/commission/environment-commission as attachments to the agenda or meeting minutes.
The ringing of and use of cell phones, pagers and similar sound-producing electronic devices are prohibited at this meeting. Please be advised that the Chair may order the removal from the meeting room of any person(s) responsible for the ringing or use of a cell phone, pager, or other similar sound-producing electronic devices.
NOTE: Persons unable to attend the meeting may submit to the Commission on the Environment, by the time the proceedings begin, written comments regarding the agenda items above. These comments will be made a part of the official public record and shall be brought to the attention of the Commission on the Environment members. Any written comments should be sent to: Commission Secretary of the Environment, 11 Grove Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 by 5:00 p.m. on the day prior to the hearing. Comments that cannot be delivered to the Commission Secretary by that time may be taken directly to the hearing at the location above. When bringing handouts to meetings, please photocopy on both sides of the paper and try to use post-consumer recycled or tree-free paper. Also, please bring sufficient copies of handouts for the Commission, the Commission Secretary and the public.
At this time, members of the public may address the Commission on items of interest that are within the subject matter jurisdiction of the Commission but are not on today’s agenda. Public comment will be taken following each agendized item. Each member of the public may address the Commission for up to three minutes, unless otherwise announced by the President. If it is demonstrated that the comments by the public will exceed 15 minutes, the President may continue Public Comment to another time during the meeting.
The Brown Act forbids the Commission from taking action or discussing any item or issue not appearing on the posted agenda. This rule applies to issues raised in public comment as well. In response to public comment, not on an agendized item, the Commission is limited to:
The Commission on the Environment meeting will be held at City Hall, Room 263 in the Civic Center Area. The Commission meeting room is wheelchair accessible. The closest accessible BART station is the Civic Center Station at United Nations Plaza and Market Street. Accessible MUNI lines serving this location are: #71 Haight/Noriega and the F Line to Market and Van Ness and the Metro Stations at Van Ness and Market and at Civic Center. For information about MUNI accessible services call (415) 923-6142. There is accessible curbside parking adjacent to City Hall on Grove Street and Van Ness Avenue and in the vicinity of the Veterans Building at 401 Van Ness Avenue adjacent to Davies Hall and the War Memorial Complex.
In order to assist the City's efforts to accommodate persons with severe allergies, environmental illnesses, multiple chemical sensitivity or related disabilities, attendees at public meetings are reminded that other attendees may be sensitive to various chemical based products. Please help the City accommodate these individuals. Individuals with chemical sensitivity or related disabilities should call the Mayor’s Office on Disability at (415) 554-6789 or (415) 554-6799 (TTY) for additional information.
The following services are available on request 48 hours prior to the meeting; except for Monday meetings, for which the deadline shall be 4:00 p.m. of the last business day of the preceding week: For American sign language interpreters or the use of a reader during a meeting, a sound enhancement system, and/or alternative formats of the agenda and minutes, please contact Monica Fish at (415) 355-3709 to make arrangements for the accommodation. Late requests will be honored, if possible.
Know your Rights under the Sunshine Ordinance
(Chapter 67 of the San Francisco Administrative Code)
Government’s duty is to serve the public, reaching its decisions in full view of the public. Commissions, boards, councils, and other agencies of the City and County exist to conduct the people’s business. This ordinance assures that deliberations are conducted before the people and that City operations are open to the people’s review. For more information on your rights under the Sunshine Ordinance or to report a violation of the ordinance, contact the Sunshine Ordinance Task Force, Sunshine Task Force Administrator, City Hall, Room 409, One Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place, San Francisco, CA 94102-4683 at Phone No.: (415) 554-7724; Fax No.: (415) 554-7854; E-mail: [email protected]. Copies of the Sunshine Ordinance can be obtained from the Clerk of the Sunshine Task Force, the San Francisco Public Library and on the City’s website at www.sfgov.org.
Lobbyist Registration and Reporting Requirements
Individuals and entities that influence or attempt to influence local legislative or administrative action may be required by the San Francisco Lobbyist Ordinance [SF Campaign & Governmental Conduct Code §2.100, et. seq] to register and report lobbying activity. For more information about the Lobbyist Ordinance, please contact the Ethics Commission at: 25 Van Ness Avenue, 2nd Floor, San Francisco, CA 94102; telephone (415) 252-3100, fax (415) 252-3112, web site at www.sfgov.org/ethics.
Posted: September 21, 2011
Environment Commission > 2011 Meetings >