OPERATIONS COMMITTEE MEETING
COMMITTEE MEMBERS: Commissioners Arlene Rodriguez, Chair; Paul Pelosi, Jr., and Alan Mok
Commission Secretary: Monica Fish
ORDER OF BUSINESS
Public comment will be taken before the Commission takes action on any item.
1. CALL TO ORDER AND ROLL CALL: The meeting was called to order at 4:10 p.m. *The meeting notice and agenda contained a clerical error indicating a Regular Meeting time of 5:00 p.m. instead of the correct time of 4:00 p.m. The Commission Secretary stayed until 5:10 p.m. to advise the public and to recap the meeting if necessary. There was no public in attendance as of 5:10 p.m.
2. ACTION: Adoption of Minutes of the May 4, 2005 Special Rescheduled Meeting. Upon motion by Commissioner Mok and second by Commissioner Pelosi, the minutes of the May 4, 2005 Special Rescheduled meeting were approved with no objection. There was no public comment at this time.
3. PUBLIC COMMENTS: Members of the public may address the Commission on matters that are within the Commission’s jurisdiction and are not on today’s agenda. No public comment was heard at this time.
Note: Items 4 – 8 were heard in the following order:
6. FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS: A request was made for Department sections to send copies of their section’s Strategic Plan to Commissioners within the next week or two in order for Commissioners to assist with goals. The Commission Secretary indicated that she would forward the 2004-2007 Strategic Plan to all Commissioners. She would also request that updates to the Plan be forwarded to her to forward to Commissioner liaisons.
David Assmann, Deputy Director indicated that Department sections are currently working on updates to the Plan and that he would also make a request that each section’s updates be forwarded to Commissioner liaisons.
A discussion would be held by David Assmann, Deputy Director on the current status of grants at the next meeting.
Staff: David Assmann, Deputy Director
David Assmann, Deputy Director presented a Budget Report for Fiscal Years 2004/2005 and 2005/2006 discussing revenues and expenditures from the General Fund and Solid Waste Impound Account. The 2005-2006 Budget for Program Section Incoming and Outgoing Grant Programs was reviewed. A discussion was held about the large amount of monies allocated to the Department of Public Works and how environment-programs may be affected in the future if continued funding were requested. A discussion was held that most of the funding for World Environment Day originated from Generation Earth and the Department only funded $90,000 toward the event.
It was indicated that at the end of the fiscal year, the rate process would determine what the Department would receive from the impound account. The first informational hearing on the rate process would be on September 9, 2005. The Public Advocate should be hired by August 22, and the rate process would be started on September 9.
Informational budget material was distributed at the Committee meeting.
7. PUBLIC COMMENTS: Members of the public may address the Commission on matters that are within the Commission’s jurisdiction and are not on today’s agenda. No public comment was heard at this time.
8. ADJOURNMENT: The meeting adjourned at 4:45 p.m.
Monica Fish, Commission Secretary
TEL: (415) 355-3709; FAX: (415) 554-6393
** Copies of explanatory documents are available at (1) the Commission’s office, 11 Grove Street, San Francisco, California between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., (2) on the Commission’s website, (3) upon request to the Commission Secretary, at telephone number 415-355-3709, or (4) via e-mail at [email protected] within three business days of a meeting.
The next Regular Meeting of the Operations Committee is scheduled for Wednesday, October 19, 2005 at 4:00 p.m. at the Department of the Environment, 11 Grove Street, Ground Floor Conference Room.
Approved: October 17, 2005