CITY AND COUNTY OF SAN FRANCISCO
COMMISSION ON THE ENVIRONMENT
NOTICE OF REGULAR MEETING AND AGENDA
Wednesday, April 21, 2010, 5:00 P.M.
Department of the Environment Eco Center
11 Grove Street
San Francisco, CA 94102
COMMITTEE MEMBERS: Commissioners Alan Mok (Chair), Jane MarieFrancis Martin and Matt Tuchow
ORDER OF BUSINESS
Public comment will be taken before the Committee takes action on any item.
1. Call to Order and Roll Call.
2. Approval of Minutes of the January 20, 2010 Operations Committee Rescheduled Meeting. (Explanatory Document: January 20, 2010 Draft Minutes) (Discussion and Action)
3. Public Comments: Members of the public may address the Committee on matters that are within the Committee’s jurisdiction and are not on today’s agenda.
4. Review and Approval of Department of the Environment Funding Recommendations for Environmental Justice Grants. Sponsor: David Assmann, Acting Director; Speaker: Anne Eng, Environmental Justice Program Manager (15 minutes) (Explanatory Document: Environmental Justice Program Funding Recommendations for Grant Awards (2010-2012) (Discussion and Action)
5. Review and Approval of Department of the Environment Funding Recommendations for Zero Waste Grants. Sponsor: David Assmann, Acting Director; Speaker: Kevin Drew, Residential Zero Waste Coordinator (Explanatory Document: Zero Waste Program Funding Recommendations for Grant Awards (2010-2012) (Discussion and Action)
6. EnvironmentNow Program Status Report and Integration into Department Programs. Sponsor: Commissioner Alan Mok; Staff Speakers: David Assmann, Acting Director (3 minutes); Donald Oliveira, Green Jobs Coordinator (15 minutes) (Informational Report and Discussion)
7. Department of the Environment’s Draft Budget Update for Fiscal Year 2010-11. Staff Speakers: David Assmann, Acting Director (10 minutes), Joseph Salem, Budget and Finance Manager (10 minutes) (Informational Report and Discussion)
8. New Business/Future Agenda Items. (Discussion)
9. Public Comments: Members of the public may address the Committee on matters that are within the Committee’s jurisdiction and are not on today’s agenda.
Monica Fish, Commission Secretary
TEL: (415) 355-3709; FAX: (415) 554-6393
The next Operations Committee meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, July 21, 2010 at 5:00 p.m., at the Department of the Environment’s Eco Center, 11 Grove Street, San Francisco, CA.
** Copies of explanatory documents are available at (1) the Commission’s office, 11 Grove Street, San Francisco, California between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., (2) on the Operations Committee meeting website https://sites.google.com/a/sfenvironment.org/commission/operations-committee , (3) upon request to the Commission Secretary, at telephone number 415-355-3709, or via e-mail at [email protected] within three business days of a meeting. If any materials related to an item on this agenda have been distributed to the Operations Committee after distribution of the agenda packet, those materials are available for public inspection at the Department of the Environment, 11 Grove Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 during normal office hours or will be made available at the Operations Committee meeting website link https://sites.google.com/a/sfenvironment.org/commission/operations-committee as links to the agenda or meeting minutes (by item).
At this time, members of the public may address the Committee on items of interest that are within the subject matter jurisdiction of the Committee but are not on today’s agenda. Public comment will be taken following each agendized item. Each member of the public may address the Committee for up to three minutes, unless otherwise announced by the Chair. If it is demonstrated that the comments by the public will exceed 15 minutes, the Chair may continue Public Comment to another time during the meeting.
The Brown Act forbids the Committee from taking action or discussing any item or issue not appearing on the posted agenda. This rule applies to issues raised in public comment as well. In response to public comment, not on an agendized item, the Committee is limited to:
1. Briefly responding to statements made or questions posed by members of the public, or
2. Request staff to report back on a matter at a subsequent meeting, or
3. Directing staff to place the item or issue on a future agenda (Government Code Section 54954.2(a).)
The Commission on the Environment Operations Committee Meeting will be held at the Department of the Environment, 11 Grove Street, in the Civic Center area. The meeting room is wheelchair accessible. The closest accessible BART station is the Civic Center Station at United Nations Plaza and Market Street. Accessible MUNI lines serving this location are: #71 Haight/Noriega and the F Line to Market and Van Ness and the Metro Stations at Van Ness and Market and at Civic Center. For information about MUNI accessible services call (415) 923-6142. There is accessible curbside parking adjacent to City Hall on Grove Street and Van Ness Avenue and in the vicinity of the Veterans Building at 401 Van Ness Avenue adjacent to Davies Hall and the War Memorial Complex.
The following services are available on request 48 hours prior to the meeting; except for Monday meetings, for which the deadline shall be 4:00 p.m. of the last business day of the preceding week: For American sign language interpreters or the use of a reader during a meeting, a sound enhancement system, and/or alternative4 formats of the agenda and minutes, please contact Monica Fish at (415) 355-3709 to make arrangements for the accommodation. Late requests will be honored, if possible.
In order to assist the City's efforts to accommodate persons with severe allergies, environmental illnesses, multiple chemical sensitivity or related disabilities, attendees at public meetings are reminded that other attendees may be sensitive to various chemical based products. Please help the City accommodate these individuals. Individuals with chemical sensitivity or related disabilities should call the Mayor’s Office on Disability at (415) 554-6789 or (415) 554-6799 (TTY) for further information.
Know your rights under the Sunshine Ordinance
(Chapter 67 of the San Francisco Administrative Code)
Government’s duty is to serve the public, reaching its decisions in full view of the public. Commissions, boards, councils, and other agencies of the City and County exist to conduct the people’s business. This ordinance assures that deliberations are conducted before the people and that City operations are open to the people’s review. For more information on your rights under the Sunshine Ordinance or to report a violation of the ordinance, contact the Sunshine Ordinance Task Force, Sunshine Task Force Administrator, City Hall, Room 409, 1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place, San Francisco, CA 94102-4683 at Phone No.: (415) 554-7724; Fax No.: (415) 554-7854; E-mail: [email protected]. Copies of the Sunshine Ordinance can be obtained from the Clerk of the Sunshine Task Force, the San Francisco Public Library and on the City’s website at www.sfgov.org.
Lobbyist Registration and Reporting Requirements
Individuals and entities that influence or attempt to influence local legislative or administrative action may be required by the San Francisco Lobbyist Ordinance [SF Campaign & Governmental Conduct Code §2.100, et. seq] to register and report lobbying activity. For more information about the Lobbyist Ordinance, please contact the Ethics Commission at: 25 Van Ness Avenue, 2nd Floor, San Francisco, CA 94102; telephone (415) 252-3100, fax (415) 252-3112; web site at www.sfgov.org/ethics.
The ringing of and use of cell phones, pagers and similar sound-producing electronic devices are prohibited at this meeting. Please be advised that the Chair may order the removal from the meeting room of any person(s) responsible for the ringing or use of a cell phone, pager, or other similar sound-producing electronic devices.
NOTE: Persons unable to attend the meeting may submit to the Commission on the Environment, by the time the proceedings begin, written comments regarding the agenda items above. These comments will be made a part of the official public record and shall be brought to the attention of the Commission on the Environment members. Any written comments should be sent to: Commission Secretary of the Environment, 11 Grove Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 by 5:00 p.m. on the day prior to the hearing. Comments that cannot be delivered to the Commission Secretary by that time may be taken directly to the hearing at the location above. When bringing handouts to meetings, please photocopy on both sides of the paper and try to use post-consumer recycled or tree-free paper. Also, please bring sufficient copies of handouts for the Committee, the Commission Secretary and the public.
Posted: April 15, 2010
Operations Committee > 2010 Meetings >