CITY AND COUNTY OF SAN FRANCISCO
COMMISSION ON THE ENVIRONMENT
*NOTICE OF RESCHEDULED MEETING AND AGENDA
Monday, July 21, 2008, 5:00 P.M.
City Hall, Room 421
One Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place
San Francisco, CA 94102
*NOTE: The Monday, July 14, 2008, 5:00 p.m. Regularly Scheduled Meeting of the Policy Committee has been RESCHEDULED to Monday, July 21, 2008 at 5:00 p.m.
COMMITTEE MEMBERS: Commissioners Johanna Wald (Chair), Ruth Gravanis (Vice Chair), Jane MarieFrancis Martin
ORDER OF BUSINESS
Public comment will be taken before the Committee takes action on any item.
1. Call to Order and Roll Call.
2. Approval of Minutes of the June 9, 2008 Policy Committee Regular Meeting. (Discussion and Action) (Explanatory Document: June 9, 2008 Draft)
3. Presentation of digital platform to highlight local and global implementation of United Nations (UN) Urban Environmental Accords. SPONSOR: Jared Blumenfeld, Director; STAFF PRESENTER: Lawrence S. Grodeska, Internet Communications Coordinator
4. Green Collar Jobs. Development of a coordinated CCSF green collar jobs strategic plan and current project regarding green jobs training-needs assessment. SPONSOR: Jared Blumenfeld, Director; STAFF PRESENTERS: Anne Eng, Environmental Justice Program Manager; Richard Chien, Green Building Program - Private Sector Coordinator
5. Lights Out San Francisco - Review of Proposal by the Golden Gate Audubon Society and the American Bird Conservancy to reduce unnecessary night lighting in the city of San Francisco to reduce the threat of nighttime collisions with buildings for migratory birds, conserve resources, save money, reduce greenhouse gas emissions and ultimately increase visibility of the night sky. (Explanatory Document: Lights Out San Francisco Summary) (Informational Presentation and Discussion) SPONSOR: Commissioner Jane MarieFrancis Martin; SPEAKERS: David Assmann, Deputy Director and Noreen Weeden, Golden Gate Audubon Society
6. Status Report on the Development of a Wildlife Management Plan for San Francisco. Initial presentation of a Draft Policy Framework to guide future creation of a management plan. (Informational Report and Discussion) SPONSOR: Commissioner Johanna Wald; SPEAKER: Commissioner Ruth Gravanis
7. Public Comments: Members of the public may address the Committee on matters that are within the Committee’s jurisdiction and are not on today’s agenda.
8. Announcements. (Discussion)
9. New Business/Future Agenda Items. (Discussion)
10. Public Comments: Members of the public may address the Committee on matters that are within the Committee’s jurisdiction and are not on today’s agenda.
Monica Fish, Commission Secretary
TEL: (415) 355-3709; FAX: (415) 554-6393
** Copies of explanatory documents are available at (1) the Commission’s office, 11 Grove Street, San Francisco, California between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., (2) on the Committee’s website https://sites.google.com/a/sfenvironment.org/commission/policy-committee as attachments to the meeting agenda or minutes, ;(3) upon request to the Commission Secretary, at telephone number 415-355-3709, or via e-mail at [email protected] within three business days of a meeting. If any materials related to an item on this agenda have been distributed to the Committee after distribution of the agenda packet, those materials are available for public inspection at the Department of the Environment, 11 Grove Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 during normal office hours or will be made available at the Committee’s website https://sites.google.com/a/sfenvironment.org/commission/policy-committee as attachments to the agenda or meeting minutes.
At this time, members of the public may address the Committee on items of interest that are within the subject matter jurisdiction of the Committee but are not on today’s agenda. Public comment will be taken following each agendized item. Each member of the public may address the Committee for up to three minutes, unless otherwise announced by the Chair. If it is demonstrated that the comments by the public will exceed 15 minutes, the Chair may continue Public Comment to another time during the meeting.
The Brown Act forbids the Committee from taking action or discussing any item or issue not appearing on the posted agenda. This rule applies to issues raised in public comment as well. In response to public comment, not on an agendized item, the Committee is limited to:
The Commission on the Environment Policy Committee Meeting will be held at City Hall, Room 421, One Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place, San Francisco, CA 94102, in the Civic Center area. The meeting room is wheelchair accessible. The closest accessible BART station is the Civic Center Station at United Nations Plaza and Market Street. Accessible MUNI lines serving this location are: #71 Haight/Noriega and the F Line to Market and Van Ness and the Metro Stations at Van Ness and Market and at Civic Center. For information about MUNI accessible services call (415) 923-6142. There is accessible curbside parking adjacent to City Hall on Grove Street and Van Ness Avenue and in the vicinity of the Veterans Building at 401 Van Ness Avenue adjacent to Davies Hall and the War Memorial Complex.
The following services are available on request 48 hours prior to the meeting; except for Monday meetings, for which the deadline shall be 4:00 p.m. of the last business day of the preceding week: For American sign language interpreters or the use of a reader during a meeting, a sound enhancement system, and/or alternative formats of the agenda and minutes, please contact Monica Fish at (415) 355-3709 to make arrangements for the accommodation. Late requests will be honored, if possible.
In order to assist the City's efforts to accommodate persons with severe allergies, environmental illnesses, multiple chemical sensitivity or related disabilities, attendees at public meetings are reminded that other attendees may be sensitive to various chemical based products. Please help the City accommodate these individuals. Individuals with chemical sensitivity or related disabilities should call the Mayor’s Office on Disability at (415) 554-6789 or (415) 554-6799 (TTY) for further information.
Know your rights under the Sunshine Ordinance
(Chapter 67 of the San Francisco Administrative Code)
Government’s duty is to serve the public, reaching its decisions in full view of the public. Commissions, boards, councils, and other agencies of the City and County exist to conduct the people’s business. This ordinance assures that deliberations are conducted before the people and that City operations are open to the people’s review. For more information on your rights under the Sunshine Ordinance or to report a violation of the ordinance, contact the Sunshine Ordinance Task Force, Frank Darby, Jr., Sunshine Task Force Administrator, City Hall, Room 409, 1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place, San Francisco, CA 94102-4683 at Phone No.: (415) 554-7724; Fax No.: (415) 554-7854; E-mail: [email protected]. Copies of the Sunshine Ordinance can be obtained from the Clerk of the Sunshine Task Force, the San Francisco Public Library and on the City’s website at www.sfgov.org.
Lobbyist Registration and Reporting Requirements
Individuals and entities that influence or attempt to influence local legislative or administrative action may be required by the San Francisco Lobbyist Ordinance [SF Campaign & Governmental Conduct Code §2.100, et. seq] to register and report lobbying activity. For more information about the Lobbyist Ordinance, please contact the Ethics Commission at: 25 Van Ness Avenue, Second Floor, San Francisco, CA 94102; telephone (415) 252-3100, fax (415) 252-3112; web site at www.sfgov.org/ethics.
The ringing of and use of cell phones, pagers and similar sound-producing electronic devices are prohibited at this meeting. Please be advised that the Chair may order the removal from the meeting room of any person(s) responsible for the ringing or use of a cell phone, pager, or other similar sound-producing electronic devices.
NOTE: Persons unable to attend the meeting may submit to the Committee, by the time the proceedings begin, written comments regarding the agenda items above. These comments will be made a part of the official public record and shall be brought to the attention of the Committee members. Any written comments should be sent to: Commission Secretary of the Environment, 11 Grove Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 by 5:00 p.m. on the day prior to the hearing. Comments which cannot be delivered to the Commission Secretary by that time may be taken directly to the hearing at the location above.
When bringing handouts to meetings, please photocopy on both sides of the paper and try to use post-consumer recycled or tree-free paper. Also, please bring sufficient copies of handouts for the Committee, the Commission Secretary and the public.
Posted: July 15, 2008
Policy Committee > 2008 Meetings >
Subpages (1): 07.21 Approved Minutes