CITY AND COUNTY OF SAN FRANCISCO
COMMISSION ON THE ENVIRONMENT
NOTICE OF RESCHEDULED MEETING AND AGENDA
FROM MONDAY, APRIL 9, 2012, 5:00 P.M.
TO MONDAY, APRIL 30, 2012, 5:00 P.M.
CITY HALL, ROOM 421
ONE DR. CARLTON B. GOODLETT JR. PLACE
SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94102
COMMITTEE MEMBERS: Commissioners Johanna Wald (Chair), Ruth Gravanis (Vice-Chair)
*The Monday, April 9, 2012, 5:00 p.m. Regular Meeting of the Policy Committee has been rescheduled to Monday, April 30, 2012 at 5:00 p.m.
ORDER OF BUSINESS
Public comment will be taken before the Committee takes action on any item.
1. Call to Order and Roll Call.
2. Approval of Minutes of the April 4, 2012 Policy Committee Special Meeting. (Explanatory Document: April 4, 2012 Policy Committee Draft Minutes) (Discussion and Action)
3. Public Comments: Members of the public may address the Committee on matters that are within the Committee’s jurisdiction and are not on today’s agenda.
4. Presentation on California’s High Speed Rail Project. (Explanatory Document: Presentation to Committee) Staff Sponsor: Melanie Nutter, Director; Speakers: Gillian Gillett, Director of Transportation Policy, Mayor’s Office (5 minutes); Sharareh (Shari) Tavafrashti, Principal Engineer, San Francisco County Transportation Authority (10 minutes) (Informational Presentation and Discussion)
5. Van Ness Bus Rapid Transit Project Update. (Explanatory Document: Presentation to Committee) Staff Sponsor: Melanie Nutter, Director; Speaker: Michael Schwartz, Project Manager, Van Ness EIS/EIR (15 minutes) (Informational Presentation and Discussion).
6. America’s Cup Sustainability Credit. Staff Sponsor: Melanie Nutter, Director; Speaker: Jill Savery, Head of Sustainability, America’s Cup Event Authority (20 minutes) (Informational Presentation and Discussion)
7. Policy Committee Recommendations on Commission Goals and Action Items to Achieve Goals for Calendar Year 2012 for recommendation to the Commission on the Environment. (Continued from the April 4, 2012 Meeting) Sponsor: Commissioner Johanna Wald (Discussion and Possible Action)
8. Quarterly Review of Commission on the Environment and its Committees Accomplishments for 2012. (Explanatory Document: List of Agenda Topics) (Discussion)
9. Director’s Report and Updates. Speaker: Melanie Nutter, Director (Informational Report and Discussion)
10. Announcements. (Discussion)
11. New Business/Future Agenda Items. (Discussion)
12. Public Comments: Members of the public may address the Committee on matters that are within the Committee’s jurisdiction and are not on today’s agenda.
The next regular meeting of the Commission on the Environment Policy Committee meeting is scheduled for Monday, May 14, 2012 and will be held in Room 421, City Hall.
** Copies of explanatory documents are available at (1) the Commission’s office, 11 Grove Street, San Francisco, California between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., (2) on the Policy Committee’s website https://sites.google.com/a/sfenvironment.org/commission/policy-committee , or (3) upon request to the Commission Secretary at telephone number 415-355-3709, or via e-mail at [email protected] within three business days of a meeting. If any materials related to an item on this agenda have been distributed to the Commission Policy Committee after distribution of the agenda packet, those materials are available for public inspection at the Department of the Environment, 11 Grove Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 during normal office hours or will be made available at the Policy Committee meeting website link https://sites.google.com/a/sfenvironment.org/commission/policy-committee as attachments included with the agenda or meeting minutes.
The ringing of and use of cell phones, pagers and similar sound-producing electronic devices are prohibited at this meeting. Please be advised that the Chair may order the removal from the meeting room of any person(s) responsible for the ringing or use of a cell phone, pager, or other similar sound-producing electronic devices.
NOTE: Persons unable to attend the meeting may submit to the Committee, by the time the proceedings begin, written comments regarding the agenda items above. These comments will be made a part of the official public record and shall be brought to the attention of the Committee members. Any written comments should be sent to: Commission Secretary of the Environment, 11 Grove Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 or by email at [email protected] by 5:00 p.m. on the day prior to the hearing. Comments which cannot be delivered to the Commission Secretary by that time may be taken directly to the hearing at the location above. When bringing handouts to meetings, please photocopy on both sides of the paper and try to use post-consumer recycled or tree-free paper. Also, please bring sufficient copies of handouts for the Committee, the Commission Secretary and the public.
At this time, members of the public may address the Committee on items of interest that are within the subject matter jurisdiction of the Committee but are not on today’s agenda. Public comment will be taken following each agendized item. Each member of the public may address the Committee for up to three minutes, unless otherwise announced by the Chair. If it is demonstrated that the comments by the public will exceed 15 minutes, the Chair may continue Public Comment to another time during the meeting.
The Brown Act forbids the Committee from taking action or discussing any item or issue not appearing on the posted agenda. This rule applies to issues raised in public comment as well. In response to public comment, not on an agendized item, the Committee is limited to:
The Commission on the Environment Policy Committee Meeting will be held at City Hall, Room 421, One Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place, San Francisco, CA 94102, in the Civic Center area. The meeting room is wheelchair accessible. The closest accessible BART station is the Civic Center Station at United Nations Plaza and Market Street. Accessible MUNI lines serving this location are: #71 Haight/Noriega and the F Line to Market and Van Ness and the Metro Stations at Van Ness and Market and at Civic Center. For information about MUNI accessible services call (415) 923-6142. There is accessible curbside parking adjacent to City Hall on Grove Street and Van Ness Avenue and in the vicinity of the Veterans Building at 401 Van Ness Avenue adjacent to Davies Hall and the War Memorial Complex.
The following services are available on request 48 hours prior to the meeting; except for Monday meetings, for which the deadline shall be 4:00 p.m. of the last business day of the preceding week: For American sign language interpreters or the use of a reader during a meeting, a sound enhancement system, and/or alternative formats of the agenda and minutes, please contact Monica Fish at (415) 355-3709 to make arrangements for the accommodation. Late requests will be honored, if possible.
In order to assist the City's efforts to accommodate persons with severe allergies, environmental illnesses, multiple chemical sensitivity or related disabilities, attendees at public meetings are reminded that other attendees may be sensitive to various chemical based products. Please help the City accommodate these individuals. Individuals with chemical sensitivity or related disabilities should call the Mayor’s Office on Disability at (415) 554-6789 or (415) 554-6799 (TTY) for further information.
Know your rights under the Sunshine Ordinance
(Chapter 67 of the San Francisco Administrative Code)
Government’s duty is to serve the public, reaching its decisions in full view of the public. Commissions, boards, councils, and other agencies of the City and County exist to conduct the people’s business. This ordinance assures that deliberations are conducted before the people and that City operations are open to the people’s review. For more information on your rights under the Sunshine Ordinance or to report a violation of the ordinance, contact the Sunshine Ordinance Task Force, Sunshine Task Force Administrator, City Hall, Room 409, 1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place, San Francisco, CA 94102-4683 at Phone No.: (415) 554-7724; Fax No.: (415) 554-7854; E-mail: [email protected]. Copies of the Sunshine Ordinance can be obtained from the Clerk of the Sunshine Task Force, the San Francisco Public Library and on the City’s website at www.sfgov.org.
Lobbyist Registration and Reporting Requirements
Individuals and entities that influence or attempt to influence local legislative or administrative action may be required by the San Francisco Lobbyist Ordinance [SF Campaign & Governmental Conduct Code §2.100, et. seq] to register and report lobbying activity. For more information about the Lobbyist Ordinance, please contact the Ethics Commission at: 25 Van Ness Avenue, Second Floor, San Francisco, CA 94102; telephone (415) 252-3100, fax (415) 252-3112; web site at www.sfgov.org/ethics.
Monica Fish, Commission Secretary
Telephone (415) 355-3709; Fax (415) 554-6393
Posted: April 23, 2012
Policy Committee > 2012 Meetings >