City and County of San Francisco
Department of the Environment
URBAN FORESTRY COUNCIL
Regular Meeting Notice and Agenda
Tuesday, February 24, 2009 at 5:30 p.m.
City Hall, Room 416
One Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place
San Francisco, CA 94102
Council Members: Carolyn Blair, Mike Boss, Jocelyn Cohen, Maria D’Agostino, Malcolm Hillan, Naomi LeBeau, Bonnie Ora Sherk, AnMarie Rodgers (San Francisco Planning Department), Carla Short (San Francisco Department of Public Works) and Kelaine Vargas (1 Vacant); Advisory Members: Susan Nervo (San Francisco Recreation and Park Department), Mark Sustarich (San Francisco Public Utilities Commission); San Francisco Redevelopment Agency (Vacant); National Park Service (Vacant)
Council Coordinator: Mei Ling Hui Commission Secretary: Monica Fish
Public comment will be taken before the Council takes action on any item.
Order of Busines
1. Call to Order and Roll Call.
2. Adoption of Minutes of the January 23. 2009 Urban Forestry Council Regular Meeting. (Explanatory Document: January 23, 2009 Draft Minutes) (Discussion and Action)
3. Nomination and Election of Council Chair and Vice-Chair. (Discussion and Action)
4. Consideration and Approval of Amendments to the Urban Forestry Council Bylaws to change the meeting times, number of Council members, and quorum requirements. (Explanatory Documents: Notice of Proposed Amendment to Bylaws, Approved Resolution Amending Bylaws and Amended Bylaws 022409) (Discussion and Action).
5. Urban Forestry Council Committee Structure and Selection of Members. Sponsor and Speakers: Members Boss and Short (Discussion and Action)
6. Annual Review and Approval of Resolution Adopting the Recommended Street Tree List for 2009. (Explanatory Documents: Draft Resolution and Recommended Street Tree List) (Discussion and Action)
7. Recommendations for Improvements to the Urban Forestry Council Website. Sponsor and Speaker; Member Blair (Discussion and Possible Action)
8. Staff Report. Staff will provide updates on Urban Forestry Council administrative and programmatic operations relating to research, planning, funding, outreach, and other related activities. (Informational Report and Discussion)
9. Committee Reports: (Informational Reports and Discussion)
Planning & Funding Committee, Chair, Carla Short
The next meeting is scheduled for Thursday, March 19, 2009, 4:15 p.m. at City Hall, Room 421.
Landmark Tree Committee, Chair, Mike Boss
10. Chair’s Announcements: Chair, Urban Forestry Council (Information and Discussion)
11. New Business/Future Agenda Items. (Information and Discussion).
12. Public Comment: Members of the public may address the Council on matters that are within the Council’s jurisdiction and are not on today’s agenda.
The next meeting of the Urban Forestry Council is scheduled for Friday, March 27, 2009, time to be determined, in Room 400, City Hall.
The Brown Act forbids the Council from taking action or discussing any item or issue not appearing on the posted agenda. This rule applies to issues raised in public comment as well. In response to public comment, not on an agendized item, the Council is limited to:
1. Briefly responding to statements made or questions posed by members of the public, or
2. Request staff to report back on a matter at a subsequent meeting, or
3. Directing staff to place the item or issue on a future agenda (Government Code Section 54954.2(a).)
The Urban Forestry Council meetings will be held in Room 400 or 416, City Hall, 1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place, San Francisco, CA. The Council meeting room is wheelchair accessible. The closest accessible BART station is the Civic Center Station at United Nations Plaza and Market Street. Accessible MUNI lines serving this location are: #42 Downtown Loop, and #71 Haight/Noriega and the F Line to Market and Van Ness and the Metro Stations at Van Ness and Market and at Civic Center. For information about MUNI accessible services call (415) 923-6142. There is accessible curbside parking adjacent to City Hall on Grove Street and Van Ness Avenue and in the vicinity of the Veterans Building at 401 Van Ness Avenue adjacent to Davies Hall and the War Memorial Complex.
The following services are available on request 48 hours prior to the meeting; except for Monday meetings, for which the deadline shall be 4:00 p.m. of the last business day of the preceding week: For American sign language interpreters or the use of a reader during a meeting, a sound enhancement system, and/or alternative formats of the agenda and minutes, please contact Monica Fish at (415) 355-3709 to make arrangements for the accommodation. Late requests will be honored, if possible.
In order to assist the City's efforts to accommodate persons with severe allergies, environmental illnesses, multiple chemical sensitivity or related disabilities, attendees at public meetings are reminded that other attendees may be sensitive to various chemical based products. Please help the City accommodate these individuals. Individuals with chemical sensitivity or related disabilities should call the Mayor’s Office on Disability at (415) 554-6789 or (415) 554-6799 (TTY) for additional information.
Know your rights under the Sunshine Ordinance
(Chapter 67 of the San Francisco Administrative Code)
Government’s duty is to serve the public, reaching its decisions in full view of the public. Commissions, boards, councils, and other agencies of the City and County exist to conduct the people’s business. This ordinance assures that deliberations are conducted before the people and that City operations are open to the people’s review. For more information on your rights under the Sunshine Ordinance or to report a violation of the ordinance, contact the Sunshine Ordinance Task Force, Frank Darby, Sunshine Task Force Administrator, City Hall, Room 409, 1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place, San Francisco, CA 94102-4683 at Phone No.: (415) 554-7724; Fax No.: (415) 554-7854; E-mail: [email protected]. Copies of the Sunshine Ordinance can be obtained from the Clerk of the Sunshine Task Force, the San Francisco Public Library and on the City’s website at www.sfgov.org.
Lobbyist Registration and Reporting Requirements
Individuals and entities that influence or attempt to influence local legislative or administrative action may be required by the San Francisco Lobbyist Ordinance [SF Campaign & Governmental Conduct Code §2.100, et. seq] to register and report lobbying activity. For more information about the Lobbyist Ordinance, please contact the Ethics Commission at: 30 Van Ness Avenue, Suite 3900, San Francisco, CA 94102; telephone (415) 581-2300, fax (415) 581-2317; web site at www.sfgov.org/ethics.
Other Important Information
The ringing of and use of cell phones, pagers and similar sound-producing electronic devices are prohibited at this meeting. Please be advised that the Chair may order the removal from the meeting room of any person(s) responsible for the ringing or use of a cell phone, pager, or other similar sound-producing electronic devices.
Copies of explanatory documents are available to the public at the Department of Environment, 11 Grove Street, San Francisco, California between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., upon request to the Council Secretary at the above address or telephone number 415-355-3709 or via e-mail at [email protected] within three business days of a meeting. Explanatory documents are also available at the Council’s meeting or agenda website https://sites.google.com/a/sfenvironment.org/commission/urban-forestry-council/2010-meetings as attachments with each agenda or meeting minutes. If any materials related to an item on this agenda have been distributed to the Urban Forestry Council after distribution of the agenda packet, those materials are available for public inspection at the Department of the Environment, 11 Grove Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 during normal office hours or will be made available at the meeting website as attachments with the agenda or meeting minutes.
When bringing handouts to meetings, please photocopy on both sides of the paper and try to use post-consumer recycled or tree-free paper. Also, please bring sufficient copies of handouts for both the Council and the public.
Urban Forestry Council
San Francisco Department of the Environment
City and County of San Francisco
11 Grove Street, San Francisco, CA 94102