City and County of San Francisco
DEpartment of the ENvironment
URBAN FORESTRY COUNCIL
Regular Meeting Notice and Agenda
Tuesday, February 23, 2010, 6:00 p.m.
City Hall, Room 416
One Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place
San Francisco, CA 94102
Council Members: Terry Milne (Chair), Maria D’Agostino (Vice-Chair), Jocelyn Cohen, Malcolm Hillan, Naomi LeBeau, Bonnie Ora Sherk, AnMarie Rodgers (San Francisco Planning Department), Chris Buck (San Francisco Department of Public Works), and Kelaine Vargas; Advisory Members: Susan Nervo (San Francisco Recreation and Park Department), Mark Sustarich (San Francisco Public Utilities Commission); San Francisco Redevelopment Agency (Vacant); National Park Service (Vacant)
Council Coordinator: Mei Ling Hui Commission Secretary: Monica Fish
Public comment will be taken before the Council takes action on any item.
Order of Business
1. Call to Order and Roll Call.
2. Adoption of Minutes of the January 22, 2010 Urban Forestry Council Regular Meeting. (Explanatory Document: January 22, 2010 Draft Minutes) (Discussion and Action)
3. Public Comment: Members of the public may address the Council on matters that are within the Council’s jurisdiction and are not on today’s agenda.
4. Urban Forestry Council Fiscal Year 2010-11 Budget Update. Speaker: David Assmann, Acting Director (Informational Report and Discussion)
5. Urban Forestry Council Strategic Planning and Scheduling of a Part 2 Retreat Meeting. Speaker: Mei Ling Hui, Council Coordinator (Discussion and Possible Action)
6. Review and Approval of Urban Forestry Council Draft Resolution to support the proposed Board of Supervisors Green Landscaping Ordinance. Sponsor and Speaker: Member Rodgers (Continued from the January 22, 2010 Meeting) (Explanatory Documents: Planning Commission Packet, Green Landscaping Ordinance and Draft Resolution) (Discussion and Action)
7. Review and Approval of Urban Forestry Council Draft Resolution to support recommendations of the Pine Pitch Canker Task Force on solutions to address Pine Pitch Canker. Sponsor: Chair Milne; Speakers: Chair Milne and Member Buck (Explanatory Document: Draft Resolution and Pine Pitch Canker Task Force Recommendations) (Discussion and Action)
8. Staff Report. Staff will provide updates on Urban Forestry Council administrative and programmatic operations relating to research, planning, funding, outreach, and other related activities. (Informational Report and Discussion)
9. Committee Reports: (Informational Reports and Discussion)
Planning & Funding Committee
The next meeting is scheduled for Thursday, March 18, 2010, 4:15 p.m. at City Hall, Room 421.
Landmark Tree Ad Hoc Committee Report.
10. Chair’s Announcements: Terry Milne, Chair, Urban Forestry Council (Information and Discussion)
11. New Business/Future Agenda Items. (Information and Discussion).
12. Public Comment: Members of the public may address the Council on matters that are within the Council’s jurisdiction and are not on today’s agenda.
The next meeting of the Urban Forestry Council is scheduled for Friday, March 26, 2010 at 8:30 a.m. in Room 400, City Hall.
At this time, members of the public may address the Council on items of interest that are within the subject matter jurisdiction of the Council but are not on today’s agenda. Public comment will be taken following each agendized item. Each member of the public may address the Council for up to three minutes, unless otherwise announced by the Chair. If it is demonstrated that the comments by the public will exceed 15 minutes, the Chair may continue Public Comment to another time during the meeting.
The Brown Act forbids the Council from taking action or discussing any item or issue not appearing on the posted agenda. This rule applies to issues raised in public comment as well. In response to public comment, not on an agendized item, the Council is limited to:
1. Briefly responding to statements made or questions posed by members of the public, or
2. Request staff to report back on a matter at a subsequent meeting, or
3. Directing staff to place the item or issue on a future agenda (Government Code Section 54954.2(a).)
The Urban Forestry Council meetings will be held in Room 400 or 416, City Hall, 1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place, San Francisco, CA. The Council meeting room is wheelchair accessible. The closest accessible BART station is the Civic Center Station at United Nations Plaza and Market Street. Accessible MUNI lines serving this location are: #42 Downtown Loop, and #71 Haight/Noriega and the F Line to Market and Van Ness and the Metro Stations at Van Ness and Market and at Civic Center. For information about MUNI accessible services call (415) 923-6142. There is accessible curbside parking adjacent to City Hall on Grove Street and Van Ness Avenue and in the vicinity of the Veterans Building at 401 Van Ness Avenue adjacent to Davies Hall and the War Memorial Complex.
The following services are available on request 48 hours prior to the meeting; except for Monday meetings, for which the deadline shall be 4:00 p.m. of the last business day of the preceding week: For American sign language interpreters or the use of a reader during a meeting, a sound enhancement system, and/or alternative formats of the agenda and minutes, please contact Monica Fish at (415) 355-3709 to make arrangements for the accommodation. Late requests will be honored, if possible.
In order to assist the City's efforts to accommodate persons with severe allergies, environmental illnesses, multiple chemical sensitivity or related disabilities, attendees at public meetings are reminded that other attendees may be sensitive to various chemical based products. Please help the City accommodate these individuals. Individuals with chemical sensitivity or related disabilities should call the Mayor’s Office on Disability at (415) 554-6789 or (415) 554-6799 (TTY) for additional information.
Know your rights under the Sunshine Ordinance
(Chapter 67 of the San Francisco Administrative Code)
Government’s duty is to serve the public, reaching its decisions in full view of the public. Commissions, boards, councils, and other agencies of the City and County exist to conduct the people’s business. This ordinance assures that deliberations are conducted before the people and that City operations are open to the people’s review. For more information on your rights under the Sunshine Ordinance or to report a violation of the ordinance, contact the Sunshine Ordinance Task Force, Frank Darby, Sunshine Task Force Administrator, City Hall, Room 409, 1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place, San Francisco, CA 94102-4683 at Phone No.: (415) 554-7724; Fax No.: (415) 554-7854; E-mail: [email protected]. Copies of the Sunshine Ordinance can be obtained from the Clerk of the Sunshine Task Force, the San Francisco Public Library and on the City’s website at www.sfgov.org.
Lobbyist Registration and Reporting Requirements
Individuals and entities that influence or attempt to influence local legislative or administrative action may be required by the San Francisco Lobbyist Ordinance [SF Campaign & Governmental Conduct Code §2.100, et. seq] to register and report lobbying activity. For more information about the Lobbyist Ordinance, please contact the Ethics Commission at: 30 Van Ness Avenue, Suite 3900, San Francisco, CA 94102; telephone (415) 581-2300, fax (415) 581-2317; web site at www.sfgov.org/ethics.
Other Important Information
The ringing of and use of cell phones, pagers and similar sound-producing electronic devices are prohibited at this meeting. Please be advised that the Chair may order the removal from the meeting room of any person(s) responsible for the ringing or use of a cell phone, pager, or other similar sound-producing electronic devices.
Copies of explanatory documents are available to the public at (1) the Department of Environment, 11 Grove Street, San Francisco, California between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., (2) by clicking on the links provided with each agenda at the meeting website link https://sites.google.com/a/sfenvironment.org/commission/urban-forestry-council, (3) upon request to the Council Secretary at the above address, telephone number 415-355-3709, or via e-mail at [email protected], within three business days of a meeting. If any materials related to an item on this agenda have been distributed to the Urban Forestry Council after distribution of the agenda packet, those materials are available for public inspection at the Department of the Environment, 11 Grove Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 during normal office hours or will be made available at the meeting website https://sites.google.com/a/sfenvironment.org/commission/urban-forestry-council as links to the agenda or meeting minutes.
When bringing handouts to meetings, please photocopy on both sides of the paper and try to use post-consumer recycled or tree-free paper. Also, please bring sufficient copies of handouts for both the Council and the public.
Urban Forestry Council
San Francisco Department of the Environment
City and County of San Francisco
11 Grove Street, San Francisco, CA 94102
Posted: February 17, 2010
Urban Forestry Council > 2010 Meetings >