City and County of San Francisco
DEpartment of the ENvironment
URBAN FORESTRY COUNCIL REGULAR MEETING
FRIDAY, MARCH 26, 2010, 8:30 A.M.
CITY HALL, ROOM 400, ONE DR. CARLTON B. GOODLETT PLACE
SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94102
ORDER OF BUSINESS
1. Call to Order and Roll Call. The Urban Forestry Council Meeting convened at 8:35 a.m. Present: Chair Milne, Vice-Chair D’Agostino, Council Members Buck, Cohen, LeBeau, Rodgers, and Sherk (9:45 a.m.); Excused: Member Costello; Absent: Members Hillan and Vargas. Advisory Members Present: Members Nervo and Sustarich.
2. Adoption of Minutes of the January 22, 2010 Urban Forestry Council Regular Meeting. (Explanatory Document: January 22, 2010 Draft and Approved Minutes) (Discussion and Action) Upon Motion by Vice-Chair D’Agostino, second by Member LeBeau, the January 22, 2010 Draft Meetings were approved without objection. (AYES: Members Milne, D’Agostino, Buck, Cohen, LeBeau, Rodgers, Absent: Members Costello, Hillan, Sherk and Vargas)
3. Public Comment: Members of the public may address the Council on matters that are within the Council’s jurisdiction and are not on today’s agenda. Mr. Matthew Savage and Ms. Lee Hwang, Quality of Life Foundation staff, introduced themselves to the Council and discussed their mission to plant trees in the City.
4. Urban Forestry Council Fiscal Year 2010-11 Budget Update. Written Report by David Assmann, Acting Director (Information and Discussion). This agenda item was moved to later in the meeting.
5. Urban Forestry Council Strategic Planning and Scheduling of a Part 2 Retreat Meeting. Speaker: Mei Ling Hui, Council Coordinator (Discussion and Possible Action) Council Members would be receiving an email shortly with dates; previously defined dates would not work.
6. Review and Approval of Urban Forestry Council Draft Resolution to support the proposed Board of Supervisors Green Landscaping Ordinance. Sponsor: Member Rodgers; Speakers: Member Rodgers and Bart Broome, Government Relations Officer, San Francisco Public Utilities Commission (Continued from the January 22, 2010 Meeting) (Explanatory Documents: Planning Commission Packet, Green Landscaping Ordinance Proposed Amendments, Draft Resolution, SFPUC Letter to the Urban Forestry Council on Proposed Amendments to the Green Landscaping Ordinance) (Discussion and Action)
The Council discussed the ordinance and whether specific components should be amended or removed. Bart Broome from the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission (SFPUC) asked the Council to support the PUC’s amendments. Chair Milne explained that these amendments would be approved as part of the legislation that was before them. The Council asked for changes that are outlined in the adopted resolution. Upon Motion by Vice-Chair D’Agostino, second by Member Cohen, Resolution File 2010-03-UFC was approved without objection (AYES: Members Milne, D’Agostino, Buck, Cohen, LeBeau, Rodgers, Sherk; Absent: Members Costello, Hillan and Vargas) (Explanatory Document: Resolution 003-10-UFC Support Green Landscaping Ordinance)
7. Review and Approval of Urban Forestry Council Draft Resolution to support recommendations of the Pine Pitch Canker Task Force on solutions to address Pine Pitch Canker. Sponsor: Chair Milne; Speakers: Chair Milne and Member Buck (Explanatory Document: Draft Resolution and Pine Pitch Canker Task Force Recommendations) (Discussion and Action)
The Council adopted Resolution File No. 004-10-UFC with amendments (Explanatory Document: Approved Resolution 004-10-UFC Support Recommendations of the Pine Pitch Canker Task Force).
8. Discussion of Amending the Landmark Tree Ordinance to encompass Groups of Trees. Sponsor/Speaker: Member Cohen (Discussion) Member Cohen and Urban Forestry Council Coordinator Hui would meet to work on this item.
9. Nomination of Urban Forestry Council Officers. (Discussion and Action) Member Buck nominated Member Milne for the office of Council Chair, and Member LeBeau nominated Member D’Agostino for the office of Council Chair. Member Buck nominated Member D’Agostino for the office of Council Vice-Chair. Member D’Agostino nominated Member Buck for Vice-Chair.
The meeting adjourned at approximately 11:00 a.m. due to a loss of quorum. Items 9 – 13 were not heard as a result.
10. Staff Report. Staff will provide updates on Urban Forestry Council administrative and programmatic operations relating to research, planning, funding, outreach, and other related activities. (Informational Report and Discussion) (Explanatory Document: Staff Report)
11. Committee Reports: (Informational Reports and Discussion) Planning & Funding Committee. Chair’s Report on March 18, 2010 Meeting and discussion about the next meeting that is scheduled for Thursday, April 15, 2010, 4:15 p.m. at City Hall, Room 421. Landmark Tree Ad Hoc Committee Chair’s Report
12. Chair’s Announcements: Terry Milne, Chair, Urban Forestry Council (Information and Discussion)
13. New Business/Future Agenda Items. (Information and Discussion).
14. Public Comment: Members of the public may address the Council on matters that are within the Council’s jurisdiction and are not on today’s agenda.
15. Adjournment. The meeting adjourned at approximately 11:00 a.m. due to a loss of quorum.
Explanatory documents are available to the public at the Department of the Environment, 11 Grove Street, San Francisco, California between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., by clicking on the attachments with each agenda or meeting minutes, or upon request to the Council Secretary at the address listed below, telephone number 415-355-3709, or via e-mail at [email protected].
Urban Forestry Council
San Francisco Department of the Environment
City and County of San Francisco
11 Grove Street, San Francisco, CA 94102
Respectfully submitted by Mei Ling Hui, Council Coordinator
*Approved: May 28, 2010
Urban Forestry Council > 2010 Meetings >