URBAN FORESTRY COUNCIL
LANDMARK TREE AD HOC COMMITTEE SPECIAL MEETING
APPROVED MEETING MINUTES
Tuesday, January 11, 2011, 4:00 p.m.
City Hall, Room 421
One Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place
San Francisco, CA
COMMITTEE MEMBERS: Malcolm Hillan (Chair), Jocelyn Cohen, Larry Costello, Rose Hillson, Kelaine Vargas
Order of Business
1. Call to Order and Roll Call. The Urban Forestry Council Landmark Tree Committee meeting convened at 4:02 p.m. Present: Chair Hillan, Members Cohen, Costello, Hillson, and Vargas.
2. Approval of Minutes of the September 14, 2010 Urban Forestry Council Landmark Tree Committee Regular Meeting (Explanatory Document: September 14, 2010 Draft and Approved Minutes) (Discussion and Action). Upon Motion by Member Vargas, second by Member Cohen, the September 14, 2010 Meeting Minutes were approved without objection (AYES: Committee Members Hillan, Cohen, Hillson, and Vargas; Absent: Member Costello)
3. Amendments to the Landmark Tree Ordinance. Committee Members discussed proposed amendments to the Landmark Tree Ordinance and made recommendations to the full Council. (Continued from the September 14, 2010 Meeting) (Explanatory Documents: Article 16 Proposed Grove Revisions and Cover and Summary Landmark Tree Ordinance Proposed Amendments) Speaker: Committee Member Cohen (Discussion and Action)
Member Costello joined the meeting during this agenda item.
Committee Members (1) reviewed the Draft Cover Letter and Draft Urban Forestry Council Resolution recommended amendments to Article 16, Sections 802 and 810 of the Public Works Code and (2) proposed amendments to the Landmark Tree Ordinance to amend Article 16: Urban Forestry Ordinance Section 802.Definitions to include a definition for groves of trees, and Section 810.Landmark Trees, to include a provision for landmarking groves of trees. Topics of discussion included the feasibility of landmarking groves of trees, identifying a definition for “grove”, and selection of evaluation criteria.
Committee members added the following landmark grove definition in Section 802:
“(k) landmark grove includes at least three trees that function together ecologically, culturally, or aesthetically.”
Council Members provided suggestions for amendments to Section 810 (b) designation process. A discussion was held about selection of criteria for evaluating groves for designation of landmark status using the factors listed in Section 810(f)(4) for removal of trees. Council Member Milne joined in the discussion and provided suggestions. Member Vargas agreed upon request of the Chair to work on evaluation criteria for future review. Member Cohen was thanked for her work on the proposed grove amendments and was asked to join in the meeting on February 8. Member Cohen resigned from the Council effective January 28th. This agenda item was continued to a special meeting to be held on February 8, 2011.
Items 4 – 5 were not heard at this time.
4. New Business/Future Agenda Items. (Information and Discussion)
5. Public Comment: Members of the public may address the Committee on matters that are within the Committee’s jurisdiction and are not on today’s agenda.
6. Adjournment. The Landmark Tree Committee meeting adjourned at 6:04 p.m.
Copies of explanatory documents are available to the public at (1) the Department of the Environment, 11 Grove Street, San Francisco, California between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., (2) or when possible, on the Landmark Tree Committee webpage https://sites.google.com/a/sfenvironment.org/commission/urban-forestry-council/landmark-tree-committee, (3) upon request to the Council Secretary at the above address or telephone number 415-355-3709, or via e-mail at [email protected].
Approved: February 8, 2011