URBAN FORESTRY COUNCIL
LANDMARK TREE AD HOC COMMITTEE SPECIAL MEETING
APPROVED MEETING MINUTES
Tuesday, March 8, 2011, 4:00 p.m.
City Hall, Room 421
One Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place
San Francisco, CA
COMMITTEE MEMBERS: Malcolm Hillan (Chair), Larry Costello, Rose Hillson, Kelaine Vargas
Order of Business
1. Call to Order and Roll Call. The Landmark Tree Ad Hoc Committee meeting convened at 4:04 p.m. Present: Chair Hillan, Members Costello, Hillson and Vargas.
2. Approval of Minutes of the February 8, 2011 Urban Forestry Council Landmark Tree Committee Regular Meeting (Explanatory Document: February 8, 2011 Draft and Approved Minutes) (Discussion and Action). Upon Motion by Member Hillson, second by Member Vargas, the February 8, 2011 Draft Minutes were approved without objection (AYES: Members Costello, Hillan, Hillson and Vargas).
3. Amendments to the Landmark Tree Ordinance. Committee Members will discuss proposed amendments to the Landmark Tree Ordinance and make recommendations to the full Council. (Continued from the February 8, 2011 Meeting) (Explanatory Documents: Article 16 Proposed Grove Revisions, Cover and Summary of Landmark Tree Ordinance Proposed Amendments, Landmark Grove Definition and Criteria, Enumeration of Trees in Landmark Groves, and Draft Nomination Form) (Discussion and Action)
Committee Members provided suggestions for amendments to the Landmark Grove Draft Nomination Form, Landmark Grove Definition and Criteria, Enumeration of Trees in Landmark Groves, and Landmark Tree Ordinance amendments. Next steps--Member Vargas would add additional requirements to the Landmark Grove Definition and Criteria that would be routed to Committee Members for review and then forwarded to the Council for recommendation. Council Coordinator Hui and Member Vargas would work on amending the Landmark Groves Nomination Form. Council Coordinator Hui and Member Costello would work on Landmark Tree Ordinance language, and Council Coordinator Hui would consult with Department of Public Works legal counsel on Ordinance language.
This agenda item was continued to the April 12, 2011 Landmark Tree Ad Hoc Committee meeting. The Chair would provide a report to the Council on progress made.
4. New Business/Future Agenda Items. (Information and Discussion) Council Coordinator Hui suggested a future discussion on revisiting existing criteria on how to review landmark trees. Committee Members discussed the possibility of holding meetings at a later time as requested by Chair Hillan. The Council Secretary would be asked to research meeting room and member availability for a later time.
5. Public Comment: Members of the public may address the Committee on matters that are within the Committee’s jurisdiction and are not on today’s agenda. There were no members of the public present at this time.
6. Adjournment. The Landmark Tree Committee meeting adjourned at 5:36 p.m.
Copies of explanatory documents are available to the public at (1) the Department of the Environment, 11 Grove Street, San Francisco, California between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., (2) or when possible, on the Landmark Tree Committee webpage https://sites.google.com/a/sfenvironment.org/commission/urban-forestry-council/landmark-tree-committee, (3) upon request to the Council Secretary at the above address or telephone number 415-355-3709, or via e-mail at [email protected].
Approved: April 12, 2011