URBAN FORESTRY COUNCIL
LANDMARK TREE AD HOC COMMITTEE SPECIAL MEETING
APPROVED MEETING MINUTES
Tuesday, June 14, 2011, 4:00 p.m.
City Hall, Room 421
One Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place
San Francisco, CA
COMMITTEE MEMBERS: Malcolm Hillan (Chair), Larry Costello, Rose Hillson, Megan Sutherland, Kelaine Vargas
Order of Business
1. Call to Order and Roll Call. The Landmark Tree Committee meeting convened at 4:03 p.m. Present: Chair Hillan, Members Hillson, Sutherland (4:15) and Vargas; Excused: Member Costello.
2. Approval of Minutes of the May 10, 2011 Urban Forestry Council Landmark Tree Committee Regular Meeting (Explanatory Document: May 10, 2011 Draft Minutes) (Discussion and Action). Upon Motion by Member Vargas, second by Member Hillson, the June 14, 2011 meeting minutes were approved without objection (AYES: Members Hillan, Hillson and Vargas; Absent: Members Costello and Sutherland).
3. Amendments to the Landmark Tree Ordinance. Committee Members will discuss proposed amendments to the Landmark Tree Ordinance and make recommendations to the full Council. (Continued from the April 12, 2011 Meeting) (Explanatory Documents: Landmark Grove Definition and Criteria, Draft Nomination Form, Draft of Article 16 Landmark Tree Ordinance Proposed Amendments, and Draft Resolution and Cover Letter) (Discussion and Action)
Committee Members discussed and proposed amendments to the Landmark Grove Selection Criteria, the Draft Cover Letter to the Board of Supervisors, and Draft Resolution proposing amendments to Article 16, Public Works Code “The Landmark Tree Ordinance.” Council Coordinator Hui agreed to edit the cover letter and Draft Resolution further. This agenda item would be forwarded to the full Council for consideration and vote on the Landmark Grove Definition and Criteria, Cover Letter and Draft Resolution at its June 28, 2011 meeting. The Landmark Tree Nomination Form was not reviewed at this time. Committee members discussed the necessity of creating a Management Plan for landmark groves.
4. New Business/Future Agenda Items. (Information and Discussion) Chair Hillan proposed two future agenda items that include (1) Review of Landmark Tree Evaluation Criteria and Form as well as discussion of new process or approach to landlmarking trees as recommended by Member Costello, and (2) clarifying the appropriateness of Landmark Tree Nomination applications. Committee members discussed the process that would be required by the Board of Supervisors in order to make amendments to the Public Works Code and landmark tree forms.
5. Public Comment: Members of the public may address the Committee on matters that are within the Committee’s jurisdiction and are not on today’s agenda. There were no members of the public present at this time.
6. Adjournment. The Urban Forestry Council meeting adjourned at 5:44 p.m.
Copies of explanatory documents are available to the public at (1) the Department of the Environment, 11 Grove Street, San Francisco, California between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., (2) or when possible, on the Landmark Tree Committee webpage https://sites.google.com/a/sfenvironment.org/commission/urban-forestry-council/landmark-tree-committee, (3) upon request to the Council Secretary at the above address or telephone number 415-355-3709 or via e-mail at [email protected].
Approved: August 9, 2011