City and County of San Francisco
DEpartment of the ENvironment
URBAN FORESTRY COUNCIL
PLANNING & FUNDING COMMITTEE
Tuesday, September 8, 2009, 4:15 p.m.
City Hall, Room 421, One Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place
San Francisco, CA 94102
COMMITTEE MEMBERS: Carla Short (Chair), Naomi LeBeau, Terry Milne, AnMarie Rodgers, Bonnie Ora Sherk
Order of Business
1. Call to Order and Roll Call. The Planning and Funding Committee meeting convened at 4:15 p.m. Present: Chair Short, Members LeBeau, Milne and Sherk (4:26 p.m.): Excused: Member Rodgers.
2. Public Comment: Members of the public may address the Committee on matters that are within the Committee’s jurisdiction and are not on today’s agenda. There was no public comment at this time.
3. Review and amendment of the San Francisco Street Tree Recommendations List for recommendation to the Urban Forestry Council. (Continued from the August 20, 2009 Meeting) Sponsor: Member LeBeau (Explanatory Document: San Francisco Street Tree Recommendations List) (Discussion and Possible Action)
Committee Members recommended revisions to the Street Tree Recommendations List that would be presented to the Council for consideration and approval at their September 25, 2009 meeting.
Explanatory Documents Distributed in Committee Meeting: Friends of the Urban Forest Street Tree Plantings List
4. Urban Forestry Council Strategic Planning. The Committee will review the Council's opportunities, constraints, strategies, direction, and assess Council strengths/weaknesses. Committee will also discuss current resource needs and may make strategic planning suggestions to the full Council. (Continued from the August 20, 2009 Meeting) Sponsor: Member Sherk (Discussion and Possible Action)
Committee Members discussed holding an offsite retreat to discuss strategic planning efforts. Topics of discussion included developing a mission statement, requesting Council member’s vision for the Council, Sunshine Ordinance requirements, securing a facilitator, and developing agenda topics. Additional details on facilitation and the retreat venue would be provided at the next Planning and Funding Committee Meeting on October 15, 2009. (Continued)
5. How to address Pine Pitch and Sooty Canker in San Francisco. Sponsor: Chair Short (Discussion)
On the topic of Pine Pitch Canker, Committee Members discussed contacting agencies that had responded in the Urban Forest Annual Report Survey that they were experiencing problems with pine pitch canker and inviting them to a future Council meeting to discuss possible solutions. Additional recommendations included securing presentations from tree experts on this topic and developing a Resolution to present to the Board of Supervisors on how to deal with this issue. On the topic of Sooty Canker, it was suggested that solutions be discussed when additional information becomes available and that the Pine Pitch Canker process be used as a guide for other canker processes.
This agenda item would be discussed at the full Council on October 27 if presentations can be secured from relevant agencies and tree experts.
6. Greening of Lots where Development is on Hold. Sponsor: Chair Short (Discussion)
Committee Members discussed creating a Resolution to present to the Board of Supervisors that would direct the Planning Department and MOCI to prioritize greening efforts on lots where development is on hold. The San Francisco Chronicle article was referenced for potential ideas. Chair Short reported that she would provide a list of recommendations to include in the Resolution for the next Planning and Funding Committee meeting. This item was continued for discussion and action at the October 15, 2009 meeting. (Continued)
Explanatory Documents Distributed in Committee Meeting: July 6, 2009 San Francisco Chronicle Article on “High Rises on Hold: what to do with empty lots?” http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2009/07/06/MNAP189P39.DTL.
7. New Business/Future Agenda Items. (Discussion). Additional agenda topics for future meetings include developing new tree list recommendations for non-street trees, e.g., backyard trees, open space trees, etc.
8. Public Comment: Members of the public may address the Committee on matters that are within the Committee’s jurisdiction and are not on today’s agenda. There was no public comment at this time.
9. Adjournment. The Planning and Funding Committee meeting adjourned at 5:45 p.m.
Urban Forestry Council
San Francisco Department of the Environment
City and County of San Francisco, 11 Grove Street, San Francisco, CA 94102
Respectfully submitted by,
Monica Fish, Council Secretary
*Approved: January 21, 2010