City and County of San Francisco
DEpartment of the ENvironment
URBAN FORESTRY COUNCIL
PLANNING & FUNDING COMMITTEE
Thursday, January 21, 2010, 4:15 p.m.
City Hall, Room 421, One Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place
San Francisco, CA 94102
COMMITTEE MEMBERS: Chris Buck (Chair), Naomi LeBeau, Terry Milne, Bonnie Ora Sherk
Order of Business
1. Call to Order and Roll Call. The Planning and Funding Committee meeting convened at 4:20 p.m. Present: Chair Buck, Members LeBeau, Milne and Sherk (4:37 p.m.). Council Coordinator Mei Ling Hui and Council Member Maria D’Agostino were present for this meeting. There was no public present for this meeting.
2. Approval of Minutes of the September 8, 2009 Urban Forestry Council Planning and Funding Committee Special Meeting. (See Explanatory Document at the bottom of the page: September 8, 2009 Special Meeting Draft Minutes) (Discussion and Action) Upon Motion by Member Milne and second by Member LeBeau the September 8, 2009 Meeting Minutes were approved without objection (AYES: Chair Buck, Members LeBeau and Milne, Absent: Member Sherk). (Explanatory Document: September 8, 2009 Approved Minutes)
3. Public Comment: Members of the public may address the Committee on matters that are within the Committee’s jurisdiction and are not on today’s agenda. There was no public comment at this time.
4. Urban Forestry Council Strategic Planning and Scheduling of a Part 2 Retreat Meeting. (Continued from the September 8, 2009 Meeting) (Discussion and Possible Action) Council Members discussed the need to schedule a follow-up retreat meeting possibly in March to complete a Council future action plan. Council Coordinator Hui reported that the facilitator was willing to donate an hour of facilitation services, and that it would be beneficial for the Council to schedule an additional hour of discussion. Council Members would be asked to send in suggestions to Coordinator Hui on their one or two priority action items in order to create a reference document for the meeting. Coordinator Hui would also work on establishing a meeting location and potential meeting date based on the facilitator’s and Council Member’s availability.
Member Sherk joined the meeting at this time.
5. Greening of Lots where Development is on Hold. (Continued from the September 8, 2009 Meeting) (Discussion) Committee Members discussed potential uses and greening opportunities for lots where development is on hold, e.g., planting trees or establishing a nursery. A discussion was held on researching potential mechanisms and seeking legal counsel to establish a process for private property owner participation.
Council Member D’Agostino reported that the Department of Public Works had been previously looking for unused city lots for planting opportunities and stated that she would research information on past programs. Member Sherk reported that she would research existing legislation and work being done by the Mayor’s Office of Economic Development.
Member Sherk left the meeting at 4:59 p.m.
This agenda item was continued to the February 18, 2010 Planning and Funding Committee meeting for further discussion.
6. Development of Policies to address Pine Pitch Canker Solutions. (Discussion) Committee Chair Buck would prepare draft Resolution language for the Council to consider taking action on at their February 23 meeting that could be forwarded to the Board of Supervisors to create their own Resolution urging City and private agencies to follow the recommendations of the Pine Pitch Canker Task Force on management strategies for pine pitch canker. (See Explanatory Document below--distributed in Committee meeting: Position Paper on the Retention of Pines Infected with Pitch Canker)
7. New Business/Future Agenda Items. (Discussion). Member Sherk rejoined the meeting at 5:18 p.m. Committee members and Council Member D’Agostino discussed ways to address illegal tree pruning in San Francisco by providing public education, adopting standards, and/or issuing fines. Member LeBeau distributed an example of a sign that could be placed on a tree that was improperly topped (See Explanatory Document below). This topic would be discussed at a future Committee meeting.
8. Public Comment: Members of the public may address the Committee on matters that are within the Committee’s jurisdiction and are not on today’s agenda. There was no public comment at this time.
9. Adjournment. The Planning and Funding Committee meeting adjourned at 5:23 p.m.
Copies of explanatory documents are available to the public at the Department of Environment, 11 Grove Street, San Francisco, California between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., by clicking on the links with each agenda posted online, or upon request to the Council Secretary at the address listed below, telephone number 415-355-3709, or via e-mail at [email protected].
Respectfully submitted by,
Monica Fish, Council Secretary
Approved: February 18, 2010